Lee's Reviews > Rama Revealed

Rama Revealed by Arthur C. Clarke

Mar 02, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction

So, four years after my first attempt, I've finally finished the Rama series. This book, the fourth and final one in the quadrilogy, is not the worst of the batch. But then being better than the unmitigated drivel that was The Garden of Rama is not a particularly trying task.

Despite my misgivings that all the important things about Rama had been "revealed" in this book's predecessor, we do in fact find out who created Rama and its related infrastructure, and why. It's an answer that I feel should be powerful and thought provoking, but it's thrown out there by an unreliable figure, and then confirmed later by someone more reliable who also admits he might be wrong. Certainly, the answer seems like an attempt to make the series seem more profound, but instead serves to trivialise life, religion, and our Universe as a whole frankly.

The philosophical antics only arrive at the very end of the book, though. For the most part it's a dummy's guide to the biology and culture of the octospiders from Rama II. This in itself is mildly interesting but doesn't really warrant the four hundred pages that it takes up. After that there's a lot of complaints about being old and then the last philosophical twenty pages. The last section just saves the book but I still wouldn't readily recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rama Revealed.

March 2, 2011 – Started Reading