Aditi ~ •A Thousand Words A Million Books's Reviews > The Wrath and the Dawn

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh

MORE ON: http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.bl...

I think that this is officially my year of reading fantasies and Arabian Nights stories. I had E.K.Johnston’s A Thousand Nights, Alwyn Hamilton’s Rebel of the Sands and finally, I listened to TWATD all in the span of three months.

This was a good book; a good listen. Ariana Delawari is a talented narrator and she kept me hooked. I liked this a whole lot better than A Thousand Nights, where there was no action except until the end, and no explanation of the ‘magic’ involved (Small Gods, really?) and while The Wrath and The Dawn took things SO much deeper, it was almost the same storyline, but this one is scheduled to be dragged out three books.

So. What did BOTH of these books contain?

Magic? Check.

Arabian Nights Palatial Setting? Check.

Murdering/ Smouldering Prince? Check.

No concern for ACTUAL governing of kingdom? Check.

Apparent Badass Heroine? Check.
(Sharzahd was just really a sassy person, and sassy doesn’t mean brave, right?)

A reason for the murder of these girls, ultimately partially absolving the badass heroine’s love interest? Check.

A couple that NOBODY can fathom, even though EVERY READER saw it coming? Check.

SO. I READ TWO ALMOST SIMILAR BOOKS, AND WHAT DID I LEARN?

1. That I need to own The Wrath and The Dawn physically, because that cover is life, because I’m a BookDragon and I HAVE TO. I NEED IT AS MUCH AS I NEED AIR.

2. THAT STORIES CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.

3. That somehow or the other, the childhood best friend almost always gets tossed aside (Hello Keira Cass and the Selection Series, Victoria Aveyard and the Red Queen Series etc etc)

4. That magic takes a toll on everything, and might lead to insanity. Of the readers and the characters, of course.

5. THAT I CANNOT RESIST BAD BOYS WITH GUILT COMPLEXES AND POWER AND LOYALTY COMING OUT OF EVERY PART OF THEM. KHALID. *FREAKS OUT AT MENTION*

6. That while I love books like this, I am CRAVING something that surprises me. I could pretty much predict every move in the book, and I NEED MORE.

Then again, I read so much that I can almost always predict book one, and so I’ve decided to wait until book two before judging the series. (See: Lunar Chronicles Series Reviews)

7. That I will be listening to book two on April 26th 2016, even if the apocalypse hits.

Now, I know I’m not telling you much about the book itself, but if I do, then what’s the point in you reading it? After all, who doesn’t hate spoilers?

I guess I would recommend it to you only 100000% if you haven’t already read a storyline similar to this, because if you have, then there’s nothing special about this book that the prologue doesn’t already give away.

3.5 Stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wrath and the Dawn.

January 18, 2016 – Shelved
January 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 22, 2016 – Started Reading
March 22, 2016 –
12.0% "Audiobook: SO. While I was off to a rocky start with this, because I COULD NOT keep track of all the names, THIS IS GETTING TO INTERESTING.\n \n "Because someone ought to." HAHA. I was walking on the road and I started laughing to myself at Shahrzad's ballsiness and that earned me quite a few stares, but who cares?"
March 27, 2016 –
51.0% "Curiously, what do SUNLIGHT and SANDALWOOD smell like? I'm a bit confused. Also, HOW DOES EVERYONE HAVE THE MOST EXOTIC EYES IN THE WORLD?\n \n I'm just kidding, this is SO good."
March 28, 2016 –
76.0% ""Let them go on to write another sky." \n \n I am TOTALLY binge listening this. It gets better and better with every second!"
March 29, 2016 –
89.0% "Only 49 minutes left! THIS HAS BEEN SO GOOD."
April 10, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016