C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

Jan 18, 2016

bookshelves: 5-star, magical-fantasy, read-2016, young-adult, paranormal, reread, audio-books, read-2017, read-2018
Read 4 times. Last read May 16, 2018 to May 22, 2018.

READ #4: May 2018:
It has come to my attention that I am still hopelessly in love with all my Raven Boys. Still. Always. And I would like to put out that (a) Maggie Stiefvater has so much freaking foreshadow perfection that it's phenomenal, and (b) Ronan got punched by Adam's dad AND Welk FOR THE SAKE OF ADAM. This damaged thorn bush named Ronan Lynch afjdklsad. I'm so dead.

Read #3: Oct 2017:
Yeah I mean...I'm just Raven cycle trash by this point and my heart is full of LOVE AND HURT for this series I can't even.😍😍😍(It gets better every time.)

Read #2: Feb 2016:
SO THIS IS A RE-READ BECAUSE I'M 100000% OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK. But I'm also an idiot and lost my original review. Let me cryyyyy. I desperately wanted to compare my then and now thoughts. AGHHH, CAIT. FIRE YOUR STUPID BRAIN. I'll just blame it on the fact that I am too insanely besotted with this book to be thinking clearly. #legit

Okay so....hm...how do I put it? MAGGIE STIEFVATER IS MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR OF EVER. It's hard to explain all the reasons why, but her writing always just MESHES with me. It like clicks. It's the style that is made for me and it makes me flail wild and unashamed. I love how visual and detailed it is, how her characters are so complex and dimensional and how she weaves in dry humour with mythology and DEATH AND DESTRUCTION. ERP. I need...I need a moment of intense howling. Ahem.

Other Reasons The Raven Boys Are The World's Greatest Gift:

Did I mention it's like 100% character driven? It's in 3rd person (I LURVE) and it actually has a fair few narrators (usually I'm dubious; but obviously right now I LURVE) and it's just so...personal. And all the characters are complex and motivated and AJFDAKLFD ADORABLE.

Gansey. <3 Precious darling Gansey. He is like a mother hen. He cares SO MUCH for his little brood and it like cuts him to the bone when they don't love him back. LIKE HE'D DO ANYTHING FOR THEM. Gansey is the kind of friend anyone would want. Ergo I think he would appeal to mostly any reader. He cares. And he's just adorable, did I mention that?

And Blue...oh sensible snarky tiny Blue. I love how she hates being called "sensible". Like I used to get that too?? So no wonder I love Blue. But it's hard to be like inwardly eccentric and wild but also LOGICAL. Because people always see the logic and forget to look closer. I LURVE BLUE AND HOW ECCENTRIC SHE TRULY IS. Like the descriptions of her hair and clothes are everything. She is a bitter espresso of insane fantasticness.

• Also there are, um, other Raven boys I should talk about. Is it easy to believe that I LOVE EVERY oNE OF THEM?!? Like, I'm never in love with ALL the characters. But I totally am here. Adam drove me really crazy the first time I read it. He has like soooo much baggage and he's abused so I GET IT. Like I think he's 1000% well written. But I hate how he treats Gansey a lot. Ronan is my DARLING BABY. He's all horrible and dark and stabby stabby, but he looks after a baby bird and afjdklafdj it melts. My heart melts. (view spoiler) And also Noah. WHO I WILL ETERNALLY LOVE. He is like a wispy shy thing...and I also relate to that so, just hugs for Noah and let me sneeze with joy. (Sneezing with joy is a legit thing, okay? Plus I'm running out of ways to display my emotions.)

• And also the supporting cast is amazing. Like Blue lives in a house of psychics and I really love that?!? Like there's so many WOMEN in this book and it's super refreshing. Plus they're old sort of weird and zany and awesome. Calla is my favourite because she's horrible.

• Why, oh why, Cait, do you like all the horrible people?

• I JUST DO GOSH DARN IT DON'T QUESTION ME.

• And then there's the whole storyline of adventure and discovery and life. How does it even mix so well?! Like it puts magic into the modern world and it's EFFORTLESS. If someone walked up to me right now and said "Let's go look for a dead Welsh king" I'd be like "Too right mate, let's go."

THERE IS SASS. The dialogue is just AMAZING. I snickered. I HICCUPED WITH JOY. I wailed.

• There's also a lot of foreshadowing, um, if you've read the next two books and then go back to this one. Foreshadowing that freaking hurts. But it just proves what an incredible GENIUS Maggie Stiefvater is to be setting up SO SO MUCH from book 1.

• I listened to the audio book...and honestly? It wasn't my favourite audio. Mostly because the narrator had this drawly southern accent (which I assume is what the book's describing as the characters' accents?) but so the book seemed to take especially LONG. And his accents were AWFUL. Plus not consistent. One moment Calla is gravelly, the next she's squeaking. Like, wut? I wish he'd just read it all in a normal voice and skipped the "voices" and then it'd have been fine. But I still liked the audio because I feel like I absorb SO MUCH MORE that way.

• I'm literally sobbing right now because I want the Raven King and yet I don't want it. IS EVERYONE GONNA DIE???? OMG.

• I just cannot love the writing and the characters and the story enough. I like...I can't. I CAN'T EXPLAIN IT. THIS BOOK IS EVERYTHING TO ME. <3 I connected to it and I laughed and I cried. And I know it's a bit slow? But I didn't care because I cherished every second with the boys. DEM RAVEN BOYS.

• I am in love with 1 or 4 of them.

• Okay not really, because Adam is still got too much baggage and he needs to nope.

• BUT THE REST YES. AND ALSO BLUE I LOVE BLUE. I LOVE HER FAMILY. I LOVE CHAINSAW. I LOVE THE CAMERO.

• ....And this review is no longer useful. I am aware. *fangirls aggressively for 2 more seconds*

• OKAY I'M DONE. GO READ THIS THO. GO READ MY FAVOURITE BOOK OF EVER.

** UPDATE: My old review is here. It is awful. It is hilarious. But here never the less. I first read this in 2014. --> Old review. NO SPOILERS. I just wanted it condensed here for records. haha. (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I guess now would be a good time to tell you," He said. "I took Chainsaw out of my dreams.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Gansey's partying with his mother," Ronan said. He smelled like beer. "And Noah's fucking dead. But Parrish is here.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Are you really going to work in that?" Maura asked.

Blue looked at her clothing. It involved a few thin layering shirts, including one she had altered using a method called shredding. "What's wrong with it?"
Maura shrugged. "Nothing. I always wanted an eccentric daughter. I just never realised how well my evil plans were working.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“How do you feel about helicopters?"
There was a long pause. "How do you mean? Ethically?"
"As a mode of transportation."
"Faster than camels, but less sustainable.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You are being self-pitying."
"I'm nearly done. You don't have much more of this to bear."
"I like you better this way."
"Crushed and broken," Gansey said. "Just the way women like 'em.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I’ve been dead for seven years, that’s as warm as they get.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Fate," Blue replied, glowering at her mother, "is a very weighty word to throw around before breakfast.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I always wanted an eccentric daughter . I just never realized how well my evil plans were working.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve," Neeve said. "Either you're his true love . . . or you killed him.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Oh! Your hand is cold." Ashley cupped her fingers against her shirt to warm them.
"I've been dead for seven years," Noah said. "That's as warm as they get.”
tags: funny

Maggie Stiefvater
“We have to be back in three hours," Ronan said. "I just fed Chainsaw but she'll need it again."

"This," Gansey replied "is precisely why I didn't want to have a baby with you.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Ronan didn't need physics. He could intimidate even a piece of plywood into doing what he wanted.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Blue was a fanciful, but sensible thing. Like a platypus, or one of those sandwiches that had been cut into circles for a fancy tea party.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Gansey could’ve had any and all of the friends that he wanted. Instead he had chosen the three of them, three guys who should’ve, for three different reasons, been friendless.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“She recognized the strange happiness that came from loving something without knowing why you did, that strange happiness that was sometimes so big that it felt like sadness.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Did you get notes for me?"
"No", Ronan replied,"I thought you were dead in a ditch.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Ronan said, "I'm always straight."
Adam replied "Oh, man, that's the biggest lie you've ever told.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Blue remained secretly hopeful that, somewhere out there in the world, there were other odd people like her.”
Maggie Stiefvater, The Raven Boys

August 28, 2012 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
January 15, 2014 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
January 15, 2014 –
page 117
28.68% "I'm finding I need to really concentrate, but the characters are awesome. I love how Blue is sensible. I love how Gansey is motherly to Ronan. It's hard work on my brain though." (Paperback Edition)
January 16, 2014 –
page 200
49.02% "I ship Blue and Adam. That is all." (Paperback Edition)
January 17, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star (Paperback Edition)
January 17, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal (Paperback Edition)
January 17, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult (Paperback Edition)
January 17, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014 (Paperback Edition)
January 17, 2014 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
January 18, 2016 – Started Reading
January 18, 2016 – Shelved
January 18, 2016 –
page 30
7.21% "I'm re-reading this...PURELY BECAUSE I MISS DEM BOYS. <3"
January 23, 2016 –
page 99
23.8% "But it's the way these stupid boys CARE FOR EACH OTHER. Like they'll risk and do anything to keep the other ones safe. \n rONAN MY BBY.<3"
January 24, 2016 –
page 110
26.44% "GANSEY IS THEIR MOTHER THOUGH. <3 Mother Gansey."
January 26, 2016 –
page 217
52.16% "Adam: "Nobody knows who Ned Kelly is either, Gansey."\n \n Me: *nostrils flare of outrage* HOW DARE THEE. YOU HAVE OFFENDED AUSTRALIANS ALL OVER THE UNIVERSE, I, CHIEF AMONG THEM. NED KELLY IS A PRECIOUS BEAN TO BE PROTECTED. <3"
January 30, 2016 –
page 369
88.7% "How DARE anyone fight with the precious Gansey creature. SIT DOWN ADAM. SIT DOWN NOW."
February 1, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 25, 2016 – Shelved as: audio-books
October 22, 2017 – Started Reading
October 22, 2017 –
page 24
5.87% "Helpful reminder that Gansey has sausage and avocado on his pizza because his aesthetic is "pretentiousness". Bless him."
October 22, 2017 –
page 50
12.22% "Adam, in book #1: "Look I just don't really believe in magic, ok?"

Me, having read all 4 books: "HAH HAHA HAHAHAHA AHAHHAHHA. You sweet summer child.""
October 23, 2017 –
page 155
37.9% "Reading book 4 and then book 1 straight after is MIND BLOWING. Maggie Stiefvater freaking foreshadowed everything????? Like these tiny random moments in book 1 are like HUGE uPCOMING THINGS AND I JUST...

magic is afoot"
October 24, 2017 –
page 193
47.19% "HOW THE RAVEN BOYS FIGHT:

• Ronan = fights with anything basically
• Ronan + Adam = fights recreationally
• Adam + Gansey = fights about money until Ronan does something more heinous and they have to unite to be his parents"
October 24, 2017 –
page 310
75.79% "Gansey: I'm going to need everyone to be straight with each other from now on.
Ronan: I'm always straight.
Adam: Oh man that's the biggest lie you've ever told.

#ICONIC"
October 24, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
October 24, 2017 – Finished Reading
May 16, 2018 – Started Reading
May 16, 2018 –
page 127
31.05% "look i'm rereading this (A G A I N) and none can stop me

also I'll have you know I can open the book to the EXACT page I want. No bookmarks needed. i'm not sure if this is a new level of high or low tbh"
May 16, 2018 –
page 274
66.99% "Your Helpful Reminders That:
☆ Blue comes up to Ronan's shoulder
☆ Gansey eats avocado on his pizza
☆ Ronan had to teach Adam how to drive a manual car
☆ Ronan coos at his baby bird
☆ every time a wasp/bee appears, everyone yells at Gansey and basically plans to tackle him down to safety to protect him"
May 17, 2018 –
page 353
86.31% "Adam and Ronan weren't in a fight at the moment, and both of them were too startled by the day's events to start a new one.

it takes someone nearly getting murdered for these boys to chill out and if that doesn't summarise the series what will"
May 22, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
May 22, 2018 – Finished Reading

Dorrit I understand.

Lexie Dem boys! <3

Brittany (Nice Girls Read Books) I'm a huge maggie fan but still haven't read these! Going to do a huge binge read before the new one though!!

Joan Ganseeyyyyyy <3

Olivia I got it from the library! I'll be reading it some time this month. :D

Miriam Joy I tried to listen to the audio of this and kept falling asleep. I wasn't a fan. The narrator had such a soporific voice

Ezgi Tülü https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Cait, I think I've found the lost review... no promises, though. >_<

Lizz Martensen I feel your obsession, I just blogged about obsessing over the Raven Boys ... they are my favorite book boyfriends ;)

Kate I. Foley Your reviews are the BEST. The fangirl is palpable.

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) Amazing review!! This is my favourite YA series of all time. I just want The Raven King in my hands now!

Katie BEST RAVEN BOYS REVIEW EVER. AND YES I WANT THE RAVEN KING BUT I DON'T WANT IT BECAUSE MY GANSEY WILL DIE.

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Angel: LIBRARY IS YOUR FRIEND.

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Brittany: THEY CALL TO YOU 100% FULL OF GOODNESS.

@Olivia: YAYYYY!! *flings confetti everywhere*

@Miriam: I do get that?? Like it took me a while to get used to, but then I didn't mind it so much. :P

@Ezgi: OMGGGG YOU LIFESAVER!! How did you even do that?!?! fjdklafd I'm so grateful. (And that review was hilarious. xD)

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Lizz: Like ALL OF THEM. one cannot simple pick a SINGLE Raven Boy. <3

@Kate: THANKYOU. XD

@Katie: MEEEEE TOO.

message 15: by Emma Ruth (new) - added it

Emma Ruth But... But Adam. People never love him enough :(

message 16: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy this review is literally me re: my feelings for this book. CHOOSING A RAVEN BOY TO BE MY FAVE IS LIKE THE WORST THING EVER. I CANNOT DO IT. i love them all (and blue. and the women at 300 fox way) so much it's like my heart literally swells up when i'm reading and i just want to hug all of these stupid fictional characters

Arantxa (TheRoomWhereItHappens) ADAM IS MY FAVORITE. I can really relate to him a lot:(

message 18: by Lizz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lizz Martensen Cait Grace wrote: "@Lizz: Like ALL OF THEM. one cannot simple pick a SINGLE Raven Boy. <3

EXACTLY! I don't even want to be Blue because Ronan doesn't like her ... I'm dying for the fourth book. Bring me more of these Raven Boys

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Lauren Oh man still gotta read this series

Miriam Joy I can never stay awake with audiobooks (or podcasts or lectures) anyway, but The Raven Boys one was particularly sleepy. He was so sloooow and measured and soothing. It was just like... nope. I'm gone.

message 21: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally Rereading this series before the fourth comes out and OMG I CAN'T WAIT. I'm putting off my reread until closer to the release date so I can end up reading all four back to back. Damn, I'm obsessed with these boys. I'm just so EXCITED for The Raven King I actually can't even. Great review.

message 22: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Ark So Cait... I'm not sure... Did u like the book? :):) ;)

{ anna } When does Ronan say he's gay??

aris ☆ I JUST FINISHED RE-READING THE SERIES AS WELL AND OMFG MY MIND CANNOT COMPREHEND IT'S AMAZINGNESS EVERYTHING IS SO BEAUTIFULLLLL. <3

message 25: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Ronan is gay the entire time, peoples. He doesn't have to announce it when he just is.

Jessy There is a sentence in book 1 that already says that he "is never straight"

message 27: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews Exactly. 😂😂😂 Plus he shouldn't have to declare anything. Straight people never do.

message 28: by idiffer (new) - added it

idiffer Another happy dragon review to put a smile on my face)

Elise (TheBookishActress) OH MY GOD YOU REREAD AGAIN. CAIT. YOU ICON.

Elise (TheBookishActress) Jessy wrote: "There is a sentence in book 1 that already says that he "is never straight""

the ONLY foreshadowing that has ever mattered

message 31: by Krista (new) - added it

Krista I've been trying to read this via audiobook and I think I'm going to have to physically read it because I haven't been able to get into it. :(

message 32: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews I personally love the audios but I understand that they're not for everyone!

message 33: by Iris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iris Hahahahaha! You read it again? 😂 (honestly so relatable)
Also your review really makes me want to reread these now...

Laura Best. Review. EVER.

message 35: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews I can't stoooop rereading it, peoples. There is no hope for me. There is just THE RAVEN CYCLE.

Katie  Hanna "this damaged thorn bush named Ronan Lynch" is the most perfect description I've read in months <3 <3 <3

message 37: by N.N. (new)

N.N. Light Great review! -- MRS N