Constance's Reviews > Suddenly In the Depths of the Forest

Mar 01, 2011

Recommended to Constance by: Advance Reader's Copy
Recommended for: Love an allegory>
Read on March 01, 2011 — I own a copy

This book has layers like the Grand Canyon. Each band reveals something significant to the whole story. How is it that a village has no animals? How is it possible that the children in the village have never heard a dog bark, cat meow or goat bleat? The village in Oz’s story is cursed. The windows are shuttered at night and the children all understand, accept that Nehi, the Mountain Demon did it all. Emanuella the Teacher knows the truth, but no one will listen to her and over time she falls silent. Two children, a boy, Matti and a girl, Maya wonder how it happened. Maya is brave and will do whatever it takes; Matti is unsure but want to know what happened. One day while they are out in the woods, they see something miraculous, but they don’t tell anyone. It becomes their secret, their bond. Overtime their wonderment leads to curiosity and that leads to action. They want to find the truth. They set out in search of Nimi, a boy who leaves the village. The truth resides in all of us. A book that takes a few hours to read will reside with you long after the last page. Recall the proverb: Never put off tomorrow what you can do today. A story about how we live our lives and how we treat one another. It is as much about a curse as we are cursed. As James Balwin says, “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.” Amos Oz is an Israeli writer, novelist, and journalist. He is also a professor of literature at Ben-Gurion University in Be'er Sheva. He is a celebrated author with many awards and honors, but he may be unknown to some. In the tradition of the best allegorical novels, this story is timeless and the subject is humanity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suddenly In the Depths of the Forest.

09/11/2016 marked as: read