Rubina's Reviews > More Than Just Desire

More Than Just Desire by Summerita Rhayne

bookshelves: reviewed

Love is in the Air:
The chemistry and the history between Arfaaz and Piya are apparent from the first page itself. The moment Piya lands in Mumbai, her estranged husband, Arfaaz whisks her off from the airport. What follows is a series of accusations, retributions and reconciliation. Piya was a successful actress and after a gap of three years she now has to make a comeback in the glitzy world of Bollywood and also dissolve her marriage to the only man she had ever loved. Will she be able to achieve either one of them is what forms the storyline of this passionate and romantic story.

​​The Introduction:
​I found the introduction to both the protagonists a bit different than generally is the norm of this genre.
Both have negative shades and for a moment, as a reader, I did wonder where the author is going with the characters. For example, Arfaaz is introduced holding the collars of his own father. Let's keep aside the fact that the father is a drunkard and good for nothing – that itself intrigued me enough to carry on with the story, for I wanted to understand how the character of a romantic story has such a negative quality. On the other hand, Piya’s actions translates to a woman with very loose morals. A woman who has no qualms in flirting with other men in front of her husband or scratching the boyfriends of her friends and colleagues. Certainly, the authors of today have no qualms in displaying their protagonists as human as it can be. No more the fainting virgins thank you.

Unusual characteristics:
Did Ms. Rhayne take a risk is portraying her characters in various shades of grey? Alternatively, were the interwoven subtle displays of love downplayed? For eg.- The reason behind Arfaaz becoming almost bankrupt three years ago. In fact, if I have to weigh in both of them, Arfaaz does stand out as a romantic. Those silent types’ women go mushy over.

As a hard-core romantic, you want to see a redeeming quality in your heroine. One who will come back, to the right path, by the end of the story and you, as a reader can be assured that she would stick to it after the last page of the book is closed. But right now, as I close the book, I'm hoping and praying that Piya does not stray off again.

Emotional turmoil:
I have read all the books written by Ms. Rhayne and always found one quality of her writing very interesting. The passion she brings out between both the characters. The frictions. The quickening of the heartbeats, the passionate kisses to the emotional upheavals all buildup to the moment when the act of declaration of love finally happens. ​
But in this story amidst all that there is also two stories of two lost souls. Two children who grew into separate homes – but are tied together by the pain and that forms a redeeming quality in both their lives.
I really wish the author had dedicated a few more pages to highlight the backstory of the characters. What can I say? I love few tears in love stories.
Sexual tensions:
Throughout the story, there is a lot of sexual buildup; while that is the motivating factor for the characters to keep on meeting but a lot of concentration was given to this fact rather than the background. We know the reason why Piya is like that or why Arfaaz hates his father. But this journey could have been witnessed by the readers. A journey taken by these two characters and destination point- where they shed their unhappy past forever. As a reader I wanted to know the relationship between the father-in-law and daughter-in-law for in the beginning, the FIL was driving to the airport to meet her. What was the big deal about it and why did Arfaaz stop him? But overall, I must admit that showing your protagonists with all the negative qualities is a very pleasant change.

Can she really redeem herself?
Until the end, I had this doubt if Piya’s character is redeemable since without a second thought and planning she decides to have an affair or rather contemplate to have an affair without taking into consideration any other relationship in her life. Can a person really change even if they are totally in love? Maybe they can or maybe I'm just jaded old hag.
Check out my reason of rating @

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Than Just Desire.

Started Reading