Nina ✿ Looseleaf Reviews ✿'s Reviews > The V Girl

The V Girl by Mya Robarts

I'm going to level with you here: for the first 1/3 of the book, I was prepared to write this book a 2-star review.

The premise is extremely alienating. In Robart's dystopian world, rape is completely legal and has become the norm, such to the point that all girls of a certain age expect to be raped when soldiers come through town. The main character, Lila, therefor decides that she is going to lose her virginity to a man of her choice before it is forcibly taken away from her.

This decisions leads to the questionable first 1/3 of the book where literally all the narration talks about is sex, wanting to have sex, and how to go about having sex.

To be fair, this girl is a teenager, and maybe I'm just old enough to be removed from that mentality that it seems odd to me. Layer on that society literally does function around sex and sexuality, and the character isn't really in the wrong for her actions, it's just hard to get through as a reader.

Once Lila meets her dreamy man candy, though, everything picks up.

What brought this up to a four star review for me is how important Robart's treatment of rape, sexual assault, and bodily autonomy are handled. In a world dominated by rape-fantasy romances like Twilight and Fifty Shades, a dark and brooding man who says things like "may I do this?" "do you want this?" "do you enjoy this" and "we'll only do this when you're comfortable" is such an important thing to be romanticizing. And this book does read like a romance, not just a high school sex ed how-to of consent.

As someone with deep personal investment in this issue, I found Lila and Aleksey's romance to really strike a chord in me. But it's not only what I like to call "Tumblr Feminism" preachy--it has a full dystopian story line to it, which I think simultaneously makes the story more accessible to people who have not been close to sexual assault in their lives, and at the same time makes it easier for someone who has to make it through the work.

Well done, Ms. Robarts. This is the kind of YA/New Adult romance that we need to start seeing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The V Girl.

Started Reading
March 1, 2016 – Shelved as: new-adult
September 20, 2016 – Shelved as: arc
August 2, 2017 – Shelved as: 2015-release
September 27, 2017 – Shelved as: debut-author

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Fabis Pleasant surprise, I thought I'd hate it.