Sarah-Jayne Windridge-France's Reviews > Me Before You

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

F 50x66
Jan 17, 2016

Read from January 17 to 24, 2016

From the 'get go' I knew this book was exceptional and that it would have an 'effect' on me! I was told it was an emotional read by more than one, some even suggested that it might be unsuitable. Like a red rag to a bull that was.

They weren't wrong - but I'm so glad I read it.

My situation (my eldest son has profound special needs), probably makes me more susceptible than most, to the questions and emotions raised through the story. Only I guess, in part, I'm one of the lucky ones. My son is one of the lucky ones - as he was born like this, and, to our knowledge, he doesn't understand.

I digress. This novel is brilliantly and beautifully written. It's NOT 'chick lit', it's way more than than, although it's wrapped up in that slightly sugar-coated sheen.

I didn't skip a page - although my heart skipped more than a beat, and I audibly drew breath after some pages ... not realising I'd been holding it.

The central characters came to the page with the ease of knowing these people inside and out, even those lurking in the background will probably hit a nerve with most. I'm certain I warmed to, harried against and eased up on the characters in all the right places.

As hard as it was to read, I gained joy from having done so, and am so glad I read this before diving into the sequel (as had previously crossed my mind).

Ultimately, with a barbed smile, I'm glad it didn't have the 'happy ever after' that it could so easily have taken. I'm not sure who's the bravest - author or reader!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Before You.

01/17/2016 marked as: currently-reading