Katie's Reviews > Finding Home

Finding Home by Lauren Baker

Mar 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: beta-hero, contemp, e-book, hero-prostitute-or-stripper

Megan is a ambitious young reporter looking for her career starting story. She finds it on the streets of L.A. where she encounters a group of homeless child prostitutes, one teenage boy in particular who she feels a deep attraction towards. Megan begins an unsteady friendship with Sean "Mouth" who is a 17 year old hustler (prostitute) trying to work his way off the streets and make something of himself. Megan admires this about Mouth and when she encounters him one night on the street badly beaten up she invites him into her home until he heals.

While living together Megan and Sean tip toe around their attraction for a few weeks until the reach a breaking point and finally give into their lust for each other. This is where my issues began. I don't really know how to completely reflect my feelings towards Finding Home, but I'll try...

The writing itself is great. I enjoyed the dialog between the characters who themselves were interesting and for the most part believable people. This was an interesting story based on an original topic and I would read this author again. I however am a bit uneasy with the idea of a 23 year old woman hooking up and (frequently) sleeping with a 17 year old boy.

I tried to tell myself through the multiple sex scenes that a 5 1/2 year (he was almost 18) age gap really wasn't that much. Many respectable couples have that age gap in their relationships, often more years (my family included). But a teenager, even a very mature 17 year old living with a 23 year old party girl was just a bit too far out there for me. There is a very large maturity and life experience gap between 17 and 23, especially when the woman is the older of the two.

I did not get the creeps to the point that I felt Megan was a pedophile, nor that she was a shady teacher who sleeps with one of her students kind of person. She was just lacked self control and maturity and I found it put me off to her character a bit. Not disturbing enough to hate the book or not read this author again, but enough to mention that some people would have a problem with it. (I had to also frequently remind myself how fine I think Tyler Lautner is in Twilight and not be disgusted about myself finding a 17 year old that attractive especially considering I'm a lot older than Megan was)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Home.

March 1, 2011 – Started Reading
March 1, 2011 – Shelved
March 1, 2011 – Shelved as: beta-hero
March 1, 2011 – Shelved as: contemp
March 1, 2011 – Shelved as: e-book
March 3, 2011 – Finished Reading
May 3, 2011 – Shelved as: hero-prostitute-or-stripper

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki This seems really interesting; only three stars though?

Katie I just had a chance to write a review for it. I really struggled with this one. I did like it there was just something about it that didn't make it a 4 or 5 star read for me.

Elizabeth (Liz) This one gives me a stomach ache just reading your review (which was very helpful, btw). I guess I better not add it to the wishlist. Thanks for the honest and realistic review:)