Soo's Reviews > The Eye of the World

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

bookshelves: favorites, audiobook
Read 2 times. Last read January 18, 2020.

Mini-Review on Audiobook on 01/18/20:

2 Stars for Narration by Michael Kramer
5 Stars for Book: Plot + Characters

Rating Raised from 4 Stars to 5 Stars on 01/18/20 - Despite not liking the narrator, I was caught up by the story and noted many elements that make a huge impact on the overall plot. Going back into a story allows you to appreciate nuances that you may not have noticed the first time around. Well, I've read this book at least three times in the past & enjoyed it. It's great to know I still love the book after so many years.

01/18/20 Notes on Audiobook:

- If only Kate Reading was the narrator for the whole book and not the handful of chapters in the female POVs. =P

- I realized that I get Michael Kramer & Michael Page mixed up. It's definitely Kramer that I do not enjoy listening to vs Page. I'm not a huge fan of Page either but he's better than Kramer. =P

- Due to Kramer's narration and the way he seems to kill the joy of reading, I was worried that I would not like the story this time around. Huzzah! A good story can surpass bad narration! YAY!

- I've read this book multiple times in my life but it's been a long time since I've touched the series. I got annoyed by the way Jordan dilly dallied on how to end the series. It's been about 15 years since I tried to finish book #10. Despite not liking the narrator, I'm enjoying getting reacquainted with the series! There's a ton of details woven into the first book that become important points as the story unfolds. It takes a reread to see how well things are placed. I'm seeing it and loving how much more I appreciate the story. =)

Pretty sure I'm going to up the rating when I finish the audiobook. Yay!

Bonus Author Interview was great! I loved getting that little insight into RJ.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of the World.

Finished Reading
February 28, 2011 – Shelved
January 5, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
January 18, 2020 – Started Reading
January 18, 2020 – Shelved as: audiobook
January 18, 2020 –
20.0% "Wheel of Time was one of my fav series until the plot line bogged down. I still love the characters & world. I do want to know how the series will wrap up. That said, if my first exposure to the series was by audio, I would not have loved the story because Michael Kramer is not a great narrator. He takes the JOY out of reading!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
January 18, 2020 –
65.0% "It took me a while to get over being grumpy about Kramer's narration. I wondered if it would make me dislike the Wheel of Time. The strength of a good story is that it will stay engaging despite having a so-so narrator. Thank goodness! Crapper narrator will not kill my love of the book. Ha!"
January 18, 2020 – Finished Reading