Asha Seth's Reviews > Like The Flowing River: Thoughts And Reflections

Like The Flowing River by Paulo Coelho

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, philosophy, non-fiction, biographies, 2020
Read 2 times. Last read January 3, 2020 to January 5, 2020.

This is a collection of the author's thoughts in the form of essays written in story-telling style. Most of these observations come with deep insights and heavy with philosophical dope on how one should act and what outcomes one's reactions to situations or people can get. Surely, you will introspect everything you do and the way you look at things once you've read this book.
Some of the inferences are really good, especially the Pencil and Buddhist Cat one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like The Flowing River.

Quotes Asha Liked

Paulo Coelho
“It is part of the human nature always to judge others very severely and,when the wind turns against us,always to find an excuse for our own misdeeds,or to blame someone else for our mistakes.”

Paulo Coelho
“A boy was watching his grandmother write a letter. At one point he asked:

‘Are you writing a story about what we’ve done? Is it a story about me?’
His grandmother stopped writing her letter and said to her grandson:
I am writing about you, actually, but more important than the words is the pencil I’m using. I hope you will be like this pencil when you grow up.’

Intrigued, the boy looked at the pencil. It didn’t seem very special.
‘But it’s just like any other pencil I’ve ever seen!’

‘That depends on how you look at things. It has five qualities which, if you manage to hang on them, will make you a person who is always at peace with the world.’

‘First quality: you are capable of great things, but you must never forget that there is a hand guiding your steps. We call that hand God, and He always guides us according to His will.’
‘Second quality: now and then, I have to stop writing and use a sharpner. That makes the pencil suffer a little, but afterwards, he’s much sharper. So you, too, must learn to bear certain pains and sorrows, because they will make you a better person.
‘Third quality: the pencil always allows us to use an eraser to rub out any mistakes. This means that correcting something we did is not necessarily a bad thing; it helps to keep us on the road to justice.’
‘Fourth quality: what really matters in a pencil is not its wooden exterior, but the graphite inside. So always pay attention to what is happening inside you.’
‘Finally, the pencil’s fifth quality: it always leaves a mark. in just the same way, you should know that everything you do in life will leave a mark, so try to be conscious of that in your every action”

Paulo Coelho
“I've discovered my vocation. I want to be a writer.”

Paulo Coelho
“A writer always wears glasses and never combs his hair. Half the time he feels angry about everything and the other half depressed. He spends most of his life in bars, arguing with other dishevelled, bespectacled writers. He says very 'deep' things. He always has amazing ideas for the plot of his next novel, and hates the one he has just published.”

February 28, 2011 – Shelved
January 3, 2020 – Shelved as: non-fiction
January 3, 2020 – Shelved as: biographies
January 3, 2020 –
page 100
43.1% "The perfect book to start the new year with."
January 5, 2020 – Finished Reading