Betsy's Reviews > Anger is an Energy: My Life Uncensored

Anger is an Energy by John Lydon

bookshelves: music

John Lydon's second autobiography is essentially his manifesto. He uses it as his personal outlet to tell his side of the story but he also uses it to rant. A lot. No one in this book is immune to his criticisms (and often times, contempt) except his beloved Nora. It's like Lydon's sneering color commentary for the story of his life. You can't say he didn't warn us in the title.

I enjoyed the journey of this book. It felt like taking a tour with Lydon as your personal guide. He tells his story but he also pauses to champion those without a voice, the disenfranchised, the misunderstood. He calls it when he sees it and politeness is definitely not his thing. I like that about him. No wishy washy I'm-friends-with-everyone here, he says what he means and he owns it. It appears he may have softened a bit since the release of his first book published in 1993, Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs, but he clearly still has teeth.

Controversial, yes. He's probably a royal pain the ass to his friends and family. Some of the not-so-nice rumors about him may even be true. He probably stirs the pot just to do it. I would even say he craves attention. But he isn't heartless and he certainly doesn't pretend to be perfect in this book. Whatever he may have said or done, forgivable or not, is all part of who Lydon is on the outside. Inside, as in this recent interview, he's much softer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anger is an Energy.

January 16, 2016 – Started Reading