Chris Wing's Reviews > After the Silence

After the Silence by Jake Woodhouse

liked it
bookshelves: crime

Crime novels have been a fairly new genre for me in recent times, and one of the genres I've been branching out into that I've quite enjoyed.
This one is relatively unique in that it's a Scandinavian crime novel... except it's not written by a Scandinavian. I believe that Woodhouse had spend a good deal of time over there, hence the setting.
It's been an interesting read in that I've learnt about the environment and certainly got a feel of the time of year (snow and ice everywhere!).
The characters are developed soundly, although not quite as adeptly, or fluidly, as a few of the prior novels I've delved into. This in itself is not a bad thing, just they seem to start from relatively well-trodden outsets. All the characters are flawed and some relationship developments were spotted a mile off. It seems that *everyone* in this police force are utterly obsessed with promotion and shitting on others to get theirs but a number of characters develop in a pleasing way which I hope is continued in the next book.
The mystery itself is interesting in that the killer appears to have a sound motive, but there is a slight twist which could really have been give given a bit more depth to, as opposed to appearing a little caricaturistic.
The other slight criticism I would have is how the characters don't always speak so naturally. A fatal flaw for any author is to write like the characters always know the reader is observing (infodumps for no reason other than to inform the reader, etc). Woodhouse slips every now and then, but for the mostpart this is not a problem.

So, to close, this is a great start for Woodhouse; a compelling plot, pleasing pace and only a few niggles that I'm sure will be improved with experience and another few novels. I will certainly pick up the next one to see how it progresses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Silence.

January 4, 2016 – Started Reading