Linda's Reviews > I Think of You: Stories

I Think of You by Ahdaf Soueif

Feb 28, 2011

liked it
Read in February, 2011

This is a collection of old stories from 1983 - 1994, published as a collection in 2007, after the success of the author's novel, The Map of Love. However, the stories were originally published before The Map of Love, when the author was younger. The stories are told from the point of view of the narrator. The themes tend to deal with people, primarily women, from different cultures living in foreign lands and and also fading love...women no longer in love with their husbands, separation and such. There is one powerful story about a woman having a difficult pregnancy thinking about her best friend dying of cancer. There is one story that I felt really does not belong, but I will not write about what story that would be. The writing is very descriptive and lyrical. Some of the stories reminded me of Jhumpa Lahiri's stories in Unaccustomed Earth. These are also stories about expatriates living in foreign lands. However, I felt Lahiri's stories included more depth of feeling. These early stories from Ahdaf Soueif do not seem to reflect the maturity or depth of her later work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Think of You.