Hilary's Reviews > Cimarron Girl

Cimarron Girl by Mike Blanc

bookshelves: netgalley, historical-fiction, middle-grade

Abigail's story starts in 1925, when life on the Oklahoma farm was great, but by the time she was seven, her world started to change. The winds changed, the rains stopped, and the impact of the drought began to be felt. Dust storms raged, stifling and stripping the topsoil away, until finally half the country was in drought and Cimarron was nicknamed the Dust Bowl. The words are brought to life by the wonderfully evocative illustrations. (There were apparently photographs too, but they did not come through well on my Kindle.)

The voice felt more like an adult looking back on her childhood than the child experiencing it, so if you (or your child) is more used to the more immediate impact of a narrator like Laura Ingalls Wilder, you might find the text a little distant, and I wished for more about her journey west to California and the new farm they set up there though it did touch on the hardships and problems the migrants faced, and the bias against them.

I was glad to see an explanatory section at the end which set out a timeline for the events of the 1930s and explained the causes of the drought, giving you a good chance to talk over the changes that technology and farming techniques made, as well as unintended consequences.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cimarron Girl.

January 15, 2016 – Shelved