Vone Savan's Reviews > Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale

Hex by Ramona  Wray

Feb 27, 2011

liked it
Read from March 15 to 28, 2011

Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale by Ramona Wray was like eating cotton candy at an amusement park on a sunny Saturday with your best friends: light, fun, and consistently entertaining.

Seventeen-year-old Lily Crane goes to Rosemound High in Michigan with her best friend Jane Archer (J for short), and like so many girls her age, she is smitten with the elusive Ryder Kingscott (the rough-around-the-edges primary love interest). But, unlike other girls her age, Lily is a witch with the ability to see into people’s lives the moment she touches them – and everyone at Rosemound High is aware of this little tidbit about her. But, even in spite of this gift (I think), Ryder eventually asks Lily out. And just as the cute couple’s relationship starts to blossom, Lucien Bell, an attractive new kid in town suddenly enters their life, thus forming the love triangle of this novel.

Right off the bat, I adore the cartoony, Bewitched-inspired cover. And as I began flipping through the fast-paced chapters, I quickly realized that the cover played on the whimsical, fun, magical theme of the book. This book is seriously an adult fairy tale.

Unfortunately, there were two aspects of the book that fell short for me.

The first was character development, especially Lily’s. As the protagonist of the novel, Lily was intelligent, thoughtful, and had conviction, but even after observing these characteristics, I still felt like she was a caricature of a real person; still two-dimensional. This issue could have been remedied by slowing down the pace of the emotional parts of the book and by adding even more descriptions. Typically, when I read about an emotion – any emotion – I prefer the emotion to dwell and simmer for a while so the impact is stronger, more pronounced. When it came time to delve into the character’s emotional scenes, Wray was bypassing them so fast to keep pace with the book that it ended up lacking impact.

I also wished that Wray had focused more on Lily’s background in magic and witchery; perhaps dedicated an entire chapter or two and provided us with a history lesson on Lily’s mystical ancestry and how she learned what she knew. That would have been quite entertaining to have read.

Now, here’s what I really liked about the book:

I liked Wray’s incorporation of the past and the present into the plot; and also Wray’s use of popular people (Sherlock Holmes, Miley Cyrus, etc.), places, and events as both frames of references and building blocks for humor. Also, I was astounded by Wray’s level of creativity throughout the entire book. The creativity was practically oozing from each page.

But by far and away, my favorite part of the book was the surprise ending. I have always prefer endings that are unpredictable, different, unconventional; an ending that’s gut-wrenching, bittersweet, or perhaps even deeply tragic, because there’s a daring quality to the author’s intent that’s not so safe, so middle-of-the-road – and I respect that. And the ending to Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale falls perfectly into this unpredictable category.

Thank you for this, Ramona Wray.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex.

03/22/2011 page 151