Petra's Reviews > Sister Dear

Sister Dear by Laura McNeill

bookshelves: netgalley, drama, mystery

I am really behind today because I just could not put down this completely engrossing domestic suspense drama. Told from multiple points of views and switching between present and past, all the characters were intricately fleshed out and were totally believable, and the amazing thing was, the author managed to make me have feelings for all of them, even the 'nasty' ones, because they were all portrayed in such a complex way that you could understand what was driving them and why they acted the way they did.

10 years ago, Allie was convicted of killing the local high school football coach. Released on parole, she returns to her hometown where the locals are less than welcoming, the sheriff is suspicious of her and even her parents don't know how to act around her. But Allie can cope with all that. All she is hoping for is to reestablish a relationship with her teenage daughter, Caroline. But Caroline wants nothing to do with her. She is having a hard time being the daughter of a convicted felon and becomes increasingly isolated at school. Caroline has been brought up by Allie's sister, Emma. I don't think I'm giving much away when I divulge that Emma has issues. Serious issues.
In order to get her daughter back, Allie has to find a way to prove that, 10 years ago, she was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Sister Dear isn't so much a whodunit, but an exciting uncovering of the why and how. There was so much skillfully crafted into this storyline: drugs and football, jealousy and betrayal, small-town politics, love and loss, and forgiveness.
The writing was so adept, you really felt you were there. I actually felt compelled to look up Brunswick and Saint Simons Island and have added them to my bucket list of places-to-visit-one-day ;)
Realistic, gritty, absolutely riveting.
If you haven't guessed by now: I loved it.
Laura McNeill was an author I hadn't heard of before, but on finishing Sister Dear, I immediately downloaded Center of Gravity, her debut novel from last year.

Many thanks to Thomas Nelson for providing me with a copy of Sister Dear via NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sister Dear.

January 15, 2016 – Shelved
January 15, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 15, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
April 12, 2016 – Started Reading
April 14, 2016 – Shelved as: drama
April 14, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery
April 14, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Nicely reviewed, Petra. This was on the radar....now it's on the TBR mountain. I'll have to see if her debut is on there too!!

message 2: by Brenda (new) - added it

Brenda Great review, Petra! I've added both books.

Petra Brenda wrote: "Great review, Petra! I've added both books."

Thanks, Brenda. Brilliant characterization in this one.

Petra Mike wrote: "Nicely reviewed, Petra. This was on the radar....now it's on the TBR mountain. I'll have to see if her debut is on there too!!"

Thanks, Mike. Her debut sounds really interesting as well and has some great reviews.