Crystal's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Feb 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011

What happens when you wake up to find you are the only one out of your 3 friends to survive a building collapsing? And what if you couldn't remember why you were there to begin with? This essentially is the plot for this book. Mara doesn't remember why she, Rachel her best friend, Jude her boyfriend, and Clarie her not so good friend all decided to go to an old boarded up asylum at 2:oo in the morning. What Mara does know is that she is seeing the faces of Jude and Claire everywhere. She feels like buildings are crashing down around her and the only reasoning behind this is that she is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, but mysterious things start happening and Mara starts wondering that maybe the building collapsing may not have been an accident.
For the most part I really liked this one. I enjoyed all the mystery and twists and turns that Hodkins wrote into this story. Noah was a fun male lead, he was very sure of himself which at times felt a little forced but he really did seem to want to help Mara. They had fun chemistry but I would have liked for Mara to give in a little more, she needed to show she liked him just as much as he liked her. I am also curious about Daniel, I really think there is way more to this boy than him just being her older brother. Like I said I really liked the story but I am so confused!! After reading this I cannot for the life of me give an explanation as to what is actually going on in Mara's mind and I feel that after 400 some odd pages we should at least have some clue as to where the story might be going. There were so many little subplots that I have several questions to and I really hope that the sequel spells them out clearer than the first book. I think the idea is original just we the reader need more info to understand a couple of things.
One big pet peeve why in the world does Noah have to smoke? It really bugged me that the author choose to have him smoke and the descriptions she weaved in there about his smoking were just icky. I know this has nothing to do with the story but it dimmed Noah in my eyes so *crosses fingers* hopefully he will drop this icky habit in the sequel.
Overall good book and I will read the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

Jasprit Omg I am so freaking jealous right now! lol Hope you enjoy it :)

Crystal lol thanks! I have my fingers crossed =)

message 3: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Happy reading :)

~Tina~ Oh please be good! lol
Enjoy!

Arlene Do you think I'll like this one? Great review BTW!

message 6: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Great review Crystal. I can't wait to read this :)

message 7: by Nomes (new)

Nomes i HATE it when book don't give enough answers. even if there is a sequel it really gets on my nerves (!)

re: the smoking. i feel the same. i never get why authors get their YA characters to smoke? not many of my fave characters do smoke but Jake does in SAVING JUNE. i mean, i still love him, but the smoking did not make him sexy or anything :/ (i just ignored it)

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber great review Crystal!

Crystal @Arlene I think you will but it will bug you some. I still think it is worth reading just remember that it is confusing as hale lol.

@Nic Thanks!! I really hope you like it =)

@Nomes lol yeah this one needed way more info imo. I want the sequel now!! Oh thank you for agreeing with me! I just can't stand all the smoking business! The guy in this book is like 16-17 and I just don't like it. I might have over looked it but the author describes him doing it several times and it was a major turn off =( Other than that Noah was great lol.

@Amber thanks!!