Shell Baker's Reviews > The Cabinetmaker

The Cabinetmaker by Alan      Jones

27220623

bookshelves: reading-challenge

Well I don't actually know where to start with this one, with it being Alan Jones debut novel and I read Alan's second book Blue Wicked first. In comparison they are both totally different kind of crime books. For me The Cabinetmaker is slower paced and not gritty, but nevertheless it has a interesting plot that I found very gripping and kept me hooked from the start.

The story is set in Glasgow starts off in 2008 thirty years after the death of Patrick who was Francis only son. Then we jump back to 1978 where we are introduced to detective John McDaid who has just been transferred from uniform to a probationary period of six months CID and this is John's first murder case. He forms an unlikely friendship with the cabinetmaker, united by a determination to see the killers punished, their passion for amateur football, and by John’s introduction to a lifelong obsession with fine furniture. So the story takes us over a 30 year time span.

Alan takes you through a steady pace unfolding the story with twists and turns of Patrick's murder and search for the truth. This is a story about friendship with and added crime element and for me I really enjoyed it. I have to admit I absolutely love Alan's style of writing the descriptions of the furniture are fantastic to the point where I would buy some. Alan certainly knows his stuff when it comes to furniture making.

And I have to say wow a ending I certainly wasn't expecting that, this is a very well written debut novel.

This is a 4.5 star from me which I highly recommend

Thank you to Alan Jones for a advanced reader's copy in exchange for a honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cabinetmaker.

January 14, 2016 – Shelved