Fox's Reviews > Isla and the Happily Ever After

Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

bookshelves: own_ebook

I overly relate to Isla's self-estimate issues like whoa.

I really like that this book broke the love triangle mold of the other two. It's nice not dealing with that every time, especially when we all know how it's going to turn out in the end. It's also good to explore the "after" part once in a while -- after you fall in love and finally get together with your crush, what happens next? Of course, that inevitably meant I then spent the next half the book constantly flinching in anticipation of what exactly was going to go horribly wrong to blow up the happy couple. I admit I didn't quite expect it to happen the way it did, and I was further blindsided by the clear spelling out of exactly was Isla's insecurities were and how they made her act and why. Which, as I mentioned, was basically like looking in a mirror. So I might be a little bias about how fiercely I now feel about Isla. Just a little.

It was cool returning to Paris and the school, seeing it through someone else's eyes. As I mentioned in my review of Lola, these books are heavily bias in their descriptions by their very nature; everything on the pages is through the lens of the storyteller's mind. Getting to know Josh through Isla instead of Anna paints a very different picture of his character, and her familiarity and comfort with Paris, the school, and her classmates creates a very different atmosphere than we get with Anna being the New Girl. It really helps separate each girl as her own person, with her own personality, tastes, friends, and styles. They all have very unique voices, while still being easily accessible (at least to me). One thing I thought was especially cool was the way Josh's art was used in the narrative to break out of having only Isla's perspective on events, particularly at the end.

I also liked that Isla gave us a good look at the friendships and family relationships around her, too. That's true to various extents in the other books as well, of course. I just automatically have strong feels about sisters because I have more of a relationship with my own sister than with my brother -- no one's fault, but he's almost a decade older than me, so he's just never been around as much in my life. My sister and I fought like mad and resented each other and played together and shared secrets, and then we each grew up and got even closer. So when I read fictional sisters doing that, it totally give me all the feels. Plus, I could relate a bit to Isla's friendship with Kurt, since so many of my friends are also on that spectrum. Basically, I guess I'm just saying if I were any of the three main girls, I'd probably end up being Isla by default, even if I'd rather have more of Lola's fashion tastes.

But back to the actual book! I really enjoyed this one. I've enjoyed all of them, of course, but obviously I ended up projecting myself all over Isla, so it gets bumped up a little for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isla and the Happily Ever After.

January 14, 2016 – Started Reading
January 14, 2016 – Shelved
January 14, 2016 –
33.0% "I'm glad it's a new situation for the love story. I'm pretty entertained so far, but of course since they get together so quickly it means the rest of the book I'm thinking "how's it going to go wrong?"."
January 14, 2016 – Shelved as: own_ebook