Alexandria Nicole's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Feb 27, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, ya, fantasy, fiction, romance, glbt
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

I LOVED this little extra. Probably because we learn a lot of things about the ID characters.

We now know that Tessa lives forever, because it says 'Tessa, who like Magnus, lived forever.' LIVED is a clue I think that she did live forever, or might still be. It also says that she feel in love with a mortal, unlike herself. So we now that she isn't a mere mortal, or shadowhunter, at least.

It also shows Magnus's resolve on why he doesn't get close with Alec and his clan. Makes me wonder what those characters at the London Institute really put him through though.

Ah, this extra just made me really excited for Clockwork Princess so we can find out all of these secrets and scenarios Magnus is remembering!

Merged review:

I love anything from Jace's POV. It was also a lot different than I thought it would be. Since it was their first kiss, I always forget that Jace isn't used to letting his emotions fly yet. It was really fun to see this Jace because his reactions to Clary always mystify him!

Merged review:

City of Bones was something I knew I was going to love right from the time I saw the book on the shelf. Mostly, in part, in the beginning because, I mean, look at the cover, pretty BA if you ask me.

Clare gives us Shadowhunters, those on this Earth to protect mundanes (humans) and planet Earth from demons, or evil in general. Clary falls into their world and finds out learning a lot about her past and her mother, who is missing. Clary doesn't like what she hears but she realizes there isn't anything she can do. Especially now that because of the events that happened to her and her Mother, she can't possibly return to her old life even if she wants to so desperately.

Clary ends up hanging out and receiving help from Jace, a Shadowhunter who has killed more downworlders then anyone else his age. I didn't notice it the first time I read the book but the spend pretty much the whole book together. Clary and Jace have been throw together to work things out and keep each other alive.

Jace is definitely a bad-boy hotty and his bad attitude leaves me laughing at his arrogance and astonished at some of the things he says. Jace and Simon, Clary's best friend, also don't get a long AT ALL and it leaves Clary in bad situations.

Clare gives us many twists and turns and I have to say that one of the last ones in this book, something both Clary and Jace find out about each other, left my heart in my throat. I didn't want to believe it and I couldn't imagine why Clare would do this to her beloved characters! I would have to say it was the most down-heartening turn I've ever read about when it comes to the relationship between two people.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves YA Fantasy. There's romance too, which for me is almost a must, so the fasted paced book didn't leave me much breathing room. I couldn't get enough fast enough, even if more things were happening in one of their days then in one of my weeks it seemed.

If you love to read and you love YA literature, read this book! You won't regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.

Quotes Alexandria Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
"Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.”
Cassandra Clare, City of Bones

Ayeiska Where can this be found? Do you remember?

Alexandria Nicole Yes if you go to the page for this under the URL click that link. Actually, here I'll just copy and paste!

Ayeiska Alexandria wrote: "Yes if you go to the page for this under the URL click that link. Actually, here I'll just copy and paste!