switterbug (Betsey)'s Reviews > Tethered

Tethered by Amy MacKinnon

Feb 27, 2011

This is a captivating story with a wholly original heroine. Haunting, evocative, emotionally intimate and rendered with tenderness and love, the narrative fills the pages with suspense and daring. The author pushes the envelope by exploring regions of shame, guilt, loneliness, detachment, and death (to name a few) in uncommon ways. The protagonist, Clara Marsh, is three-dimensional, flawed, and memorable. Her small gestures speak volumes and her reticence reverberates. Her relationship to the other characters and the compelling story keeps you turning those pages. Clara's profession as an undertaker provides exquisite material as an extended metaphor. Additionally, it is clear that this first-time author did meticulous research for this novel.

The story develops with character, and character development is propelled by the story. It is finely balanced, and getting to the last page was torture because I did not want to let go of Clara. I gave it four stars instead of five because of some predictable aspects of plot/villian that I don't want to go into--I don't like to give spoilers. However, this is still a deeply satisfying novel that will keep you tethered to it from first to last page. And beyond.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tethered.