Carly's Reviews > Curse of the Spellmans

Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz

Dec 05, 12

bookshelves: books-that-i-own, fiction, family, mystery, private-investigators, san-francisco, winter_challenge_2010, the-spellmans, comedy, 2011, 2012, winter-challenge-2012
Read from December 01 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 2

** spoiler alert ** **After reading this for the second time, my previous review still stands. I think I might change it too 4 and a half stars though. Also, I have a huge literary crush on Henry Stone.**

Four stars because even though the book is considered to be a mystery, the story is more about the family and less about the mystery. And a few too many footnotes. I was starting to make sure I wasn't missing footnotes even though they aren't that important to the story.

But otherwise, I love these characters. I wish I could get to know these people. I would definitely not want to be a part of their family, but I would want to be a part of their lives.

Henry Stone is one of my favorite male characters in a novel. He is lovely and wonderful.

And Doctor Who references abound...even though Lutz's episode order may have been wrong. But I can't fault an abundance of Doctor Who references.

"Would you stop talking crap about my doctor?" I said in mock anger. ~ Isabel Spellman (pg. 302)

"I love the tenth doctor," Rae said after we watched our sixth episode of Doctor Who that day. Interestingly, the actor playing the doctor had changed between the first season and the second. The transition was remarkably smooth. Still, I wasn't as convinced of the tenth doctor's superiority over the ninth as my sister was.
"You only like the new doctor because you think he's cuter than the first," I said.
"He is cuter."
"No, he's not," I replied. "In your opinion he's cuter. But it's not an absolute truth."
"You like the ninth doctor better than the tenth doctor?" Rae asked in shock.
"Totally," I replied.
"Okay. Let me rephrase the question: Do you think the ninth doctor is better-looking than the tenth?"
"Yes, I do," I replied.
"You can't be serious. Look at his ears."
"Would you stop talking crap about my doctor?" I said in mock anger.
"Whatever," Rae replied,... ~ Isabel and Rae Spellman (pgs. 301-302)

"No, it's just cruel. Do you realize that the first Doctor Who was on the air in 1963? They've gone through ten doctors to date and there are over seven hundred episodes, most of which are super old. The 'classic'"--Rae used sarcastic finger quotes--"series is so outdated. The special effects are a complete joke. You can't take it seriously."
"What's the premise the show?" I asked.
"There's a doctor--"
"What kind of doctor?"
"He's just the doctor."
"But he has to be some kind of doctor."
"If he is, they don't say. Anyway, so the doctor travels through time saving the world from destruction."
"And it's the special effects you can't take seriously?" ~Isabel and Rae Spellman (pg. 282)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curse of the Spellmans.

02/26/2011 page 13