Ann's Reviews > Behind You

Behind You by Jacqueline Woodson

I read this a couple of weeks ago, and, honestly, I'm having a hard time remembering much from it, which may say something about the book. I do think that it was well written and quite sad, but because it is so short, it was hard to feel any lasting connection with the story and characters. I found out after reading it that it's actually a sequel to If You Come Softly, but everything I've read indicates that this book can stand alone. However, I think I would have liked to have read the other book first to get some sense of the characters' relationships. I also thought the author crammed in too many issues (divorce, adultery, homosexuality) that overshadowed the main story of an interracial relationship and racial profiling. In a book this short, everything seemed to compete. I know this book was more true to life than many others, since life is that way, with multiple issues running through all the time, but I would have liked to either see a longer book or the author deal with less. However, I know I enjoyed reading it and the writing is very, very good, and the concept of someone struggling to move on while watching the grief left behind after his death was beautiful.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind You.

12/27/2017 marked as: read