Jennifer 's Reviews > The Vampire Queen's Servant

The Vampire Queen's Servant by Joey W. Hill

3198681
Feb 26, 2011

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, vamps, bd-sm, hottest-covers, favorites, erotic-romance, so-good-i-re-read-it

Ahhhhhhhhh! If I could give this book 10 stars I would. There are books you read to pass the time, that are enjoyable while they last, but don't leave lasting impressions. I read A LOT of that stuff. Sometimes I can't even remember the names of the characters 10 minutes after I finish. But this novel is in another stratosphere for me.

Jacob is a strong, beautiful, rough alpha male who is drawn to become the servant of the Vampire Queen Lyssa. Without Lyssa's knowledge, he is trained for months by her dying, estranged servant, Thomas, before his sudden and compelling introduction into her life. Jacob has learned much about how to serve a vampire, but cannot fully comprehend how deeply the vampire society demands complete submission from its human servants, whether male or female (both exist). The structure of their society is formal and unyielding. The politics are complicated and there is always the danger of betrayal by rivals. As such, servants must be tested in extreme situations to prove their loyalty. They serve their vampire masters with their blood and their sex. In some vampires' eyes, they are seen as no more then pets to command. Lyssa exerts her dominance over Jacob, but is challenged by his alpha nature and his ability to rise to her equal in their passionate encounters. She can be brutal. There is s/m involved, but not in the kinky, "lifestyle-choice" way most bdsm books are written. It's not a whips and chains book, but there is violence and questionable consent. Jacob, however, is a dominant force in his own right and that makes it all the more intriguing.

This is a very passionate love story between two souls who are destined to be together. Joey Hill writes so sensually and beautifully, she makes even the most mundane actions enticing to read about. You are able to get lost in the words which just float by. It's not an action packed story, but character driven. We mostly live in the heads of the two leads as they struggle with their emotions, a constant push and pull. Wonderful and thorough character descriptions abound. The pages just burn. Oh, and this is only the first part of their story. It's to be continued in book 2 of the series :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire Queen's Servant.

Sharon I have been wanting to start this series for a while. Can't wait to read your thoughts on it!

Jennifer So I started it on my Nook yesterday, but I really want the hard copy, so I'm waiting for it in the mail to continue reading. These are supposed to be amazing but pretty dark.

Sharon That's what I heard too. Plus, I like the vampire genre and have been missing my vamps!