Helen 2.0's Reviews > Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: humor, magic, faves, wings, brs-done, retelling, own, urban-fantasy, read-16, fantasy-epic, kayla

-----7/1-----
Good Omens is a book about the Antichrist and the end of the world. But don't worry, it's not all sad! In fact, most of it is hilarious. The angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley are each tasked with finding the Antichrist as a baby and swaying him over to their respective sides; heaven or hell. However, through a misunderstanding they lose the Antichrist and he grows up to be a normal human boy. As a result, Armageddon goes off with a few hitches.

It was just as good as I expected it to be! The characters - Aziraphale, Crowley, Anathema, Newt, Shadwell, the Them - were all understandable, real (despite the fact some on that list aren't human), and just the right amount of ridiculous.

Shadwell was especially funny. All his lines were read in my mind with a really bad Scottish accent, it made every scene with Shadwell awesome :D

-----6/26-----
One pressing issue: has anyone here watched Supernatural?

The instant Crowley was mentioned I thought of Supernatural. Their characters are so similar!

Some quotes in particular stood out as very "Supernatural"-Crowley-like:
"Crowley had dark hair and good cheekbones and wore snakeskin shoes"
or
"Crowley had always known that he would be around when the world ended, because he was immortal and wouldn't have any alternative. But he'd hoped it would be a long way off. Because he rather liked people. It was a major failing in a demon."
or
"Aziraphale. The Enemy, of course. But an enemy for six thousand years now, which made him a sort of friend."

See the similarities? They're glaring me in the face!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

January 13, 2016 – Shelved
June 25, 2016 – Started Reading
June 25, 2016 –
30.0% "CROWLEY <3"
June 27, 2016 –
36.0% "Aziraphale appears "gayer than a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide." \n LOL"
June 29, 2016 –
July 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Trish Yep, but the book is older. ;)
And, probably because of the BBC dramatisation of the book, I always pictured Crowly more like this:

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Helen 2.0 That's actually pretty close to Crowley's casting in Supernatural. I figured maybe Supernatural's Crowley is based on the one in Good Omens...

Trish You think? I think he looks nothing like the one in Supernatural (I've seen the first 4 seasons and a few episodes of season 8).

Helen 2.0 Mikaela • Night Triumphant • wrote: "Only watched up to a couple of episodes in season 6 (I seriously need to catch up lol), but I love Crowley! He's so hilarious! :D"

Crowley is my fave in the series.

Helen 2.0 Trish wrote: "You think? I think he looks nothing like the one in Supernatural (I've seen the first 4 seasons and a few episodes of season 8)."

I think so, a bit. Except that Supernatural's Crowley is short, lol!

Trish *lol* that was the first adjective coming to my mind too (this British actor is reasonably tall). :D

Helen 2.0 Em ◆ Death Incarnate's ◆ Bastard of the Barrel's ◆ wrote: "I FUCKING LOVE SUPERNATURAL. Dean & Sam are the only two brothers I almost love as much as the Hemsworth xD"

Same! Are you caught up with the new season? I'm still haven't made it past Season 10.

message 9: by Ioana (new) - added it

Ioana R. Supernatural is just amazing! I expected to lose interest in it after, like, 4 seasons, but it gets better and better. Crowley is super funny and I like him a lot.

message 10: by LJo (new) - rated it 5 stars

LJo I've only started Supernatural a few weeks ago but I love it!! I've just started season 5 and I'm glad there's still so much of it! Also loved Good Omens!! Just couldn't stop laughing all the way through <3

Helen 2.0 LJo wrote: "I've only started Supernatural a few weeks ago but I love it!! I've just started season 5 and I'm glad there's still so much of it! Also loved Good Omens!! Just couldn't stop laughing all the way t..."

Season 5 is the best season out of all of them! Hope you enjoy :)

message 12: by LJo (new) - rated it 5 stars

LJo Oh, I do. I'm still waiting for Lucifer to make an appearance in his new body. Last season had this episode about the prophet and that was just awesome. The WInchester Gospel ;D

Helen 2.0 LJo wrote: "Oh, I do. I'm still waiting for Lucifer to make an appearance in his new body. Last season had this episode about the prophet and that was just awesome. The WInchester Gospel ;D"

Speaking of Lucifer - I once met Mark Pellegrino and nearly fainted. It was awesome.

message 14: by LJo (new) - rated it 5 stars

LJo Really? Where? I just realized he's also Bishop from Being Human!

message 15: by Helen 2.0 (last edited Jun 28, 2016 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Helen 2.0 LJo wrote: "Really? Where? I just realized he's also Bishop from Being Human!"

At a convention last year. I didn't even realize he was going so when I saw him spontaneously I almost died of shock.

He's in a lot of shows! Tomorrow People, Lost, Quantico, lots of others!

message 16: by LJo (new) - rated it 5 stars

LJo Cool. I've never met a famous person but a friend of mine once ran into Brad Pitt in a Pub in Ireland ;D If I COULD choose, though, I think I'd want to meet Rob Pattinson. He's just the funniest guy and so adorkable. God I wished he'd do a new movie that actually interests me...

Helen 2.0 I've met some cool famous people because I went on a crusade of conventions and meet opportunities :) sometimes I get a little celebrity crazy. Most recently I met Sebastian Stan, best day ever.

Helen 2.0 Also, my coworker met Oscar Isaac (Poe in the Force Awakens) at her second job and called me over. That was awesome too.

You might be able to tell I'm super proud of my celebrity hunting xD

I've never met Brad Pitt though... Jealous

message 19: by LJo (new) - rated it 5 stars

LJo So how does it feel, to meet someone from the TV in real life? I mean, realizing they're actual People?

Helen 2.0 When I asked Matt Pellegrino about Supernatural he confessed he'd never actually watched the show outside of acting in it, haha. I ended up telling him what happens in some episodes he wasn't in. It was hilarious

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Terrific review, Helen! :))

Helen 2.0 Thanks :)

message 23: by Judith (new)

Judith Great review,babe,xx

message 24: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Oooooh, this is one of my favourites!