Robin's Reviews > I'm Thinking of Ending Things

I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid

bookshelves: psychological-suspense

I am really on the fence about how to rate this one. I want to give it five stars for the novel’s clever construction, but then I don’t want everyone to rush out and get this as it really is not for everyone. It is very very very dark and the ending blew. Me. Away. Really.

This is a new psychological novel that defies description. At first the story of a woman on a car trip to her boyfriend’s parents’ house is relatable--girlfriend is not totally comfortable of her relationship and is thinking of “ending things,” but soon you’ll be squirming with an unnamed dread, and by the explosive ending, you’ll want to go right back and start from the beginning to see how brilliantly this novel was put together.

So who wants to read the book based on my description? Just remember--it’s not at all what you think it is--or least I didn’t figure it out. Some may, but I didn’t. At all.

Also know the description of the woman ending up in a deserted school is a bit of a spoiler as that doesn’t happen until the last quarter of the story.

This is due to be released in June 2016 and I really can’t wait to see how it does with readers.

I've also been trying to think of some similar books to compare this to, but doing so would create a bit of a spoiler, so I won't.

Spoiler Website: If you have read the book want to join a discussion about the book, check out this site set up by the publisher: http://afterthingsend.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

January 13, 2016 – Started Reading
January 13, 2016 – Shelved
January 16, 2016 – Shelved as: psychological-suspense
January 16, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy It reminds me of House of Leaves. I am still trying to wrap my mind around it.

Robin I never read House of Leaves but I had seen it compared to this before. Sending you a DM of what it reminded me of.

message 3: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Agree with your review which was very well done. Never heard of House of Leaves. DM me also to tell me what it reminded you of.

message 4: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Treadway I just finished the book and am having trouble understanding it. SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ANYONE READING!!!!.....…..............................................................................................................

So was the whole book a story jake wrote about a girl he met at the pub but never talked to her after? Who was the janitor? Was that jake? Did jake break into the school and commit suicide by himself or was there someone else there? I really want to understand what I just read, it's going to drive me nuts!

message 5: by Carlee (new) - added it

Carlee You have intrigued me :)

Robin Ashley wrote: "I just finished the book and am having trouble understanding it. SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ANYONE READING!!!!.....…............................................................................................"

Check out the website set up by the publisher: http://afterthingsend.com

Doris Good review, well said. I thought the author left no doubt about what took place and I appreciate that.

Icewineanne For me this story isn't really about the horror or suspense. It explores big questions & really makes you think. Questions about reality, our connections, & being alone. I will ponder the questions this book raises for quite awhile.
Many thanks for the link to the publisher's discussion!