Sammy's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling

May 29, 2007

bookshelves: a-the-best
Read in July, 2005

Okay, how am I really supposed to review this book? The thing is, I'm obsessed with Harry Potter, no way around it. I've been obsessed, and more than likely will always be obsessed. So I can't really step back and give a biased review on this book... but I will give a review nonetheless.

This book did not let me down. Just like Order of the Phoenix I read it within 24 hours. Every single chapter, sentence, word, grabbed at me! By this point in the series I'm seriously invested in the characters and the events going on around them, and Rowling has not done anything to them to upset me too much. Well, there is something that happens to one of my favorite characters at the end of the book, but I'm not going to spoil it because there are actually still people out there who have yet to read the book.

The thing that is amazing about Rowling is that as Harry grows, her writing seems to grow as well. If you look back at the first book and compare it to the sixth book, the first book seems so childish, young, easy and simple, while the sixth book is the exact opposite. It also makes the books a lot more accessible to readers of all ages. Kids can start reading them on their own or with their parents, and adults can read them and reassure themselvest that they're not reading a kids book.

There's so much I want to say about this book and this series, but... I can't without giving too much away. If you haven't read the series, you will be very lost if you start with this book, so start at the beginning. If you have read the series but haven't read this one yet, get it now and read it! It will not disappoint you at all! Once again, Rowling has out done herself. Now... we just wait for the seventh book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

04/24/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Pkt831 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:57PM) (new) - added it

Pkt831 The thing that is amazing.

Madison This book is THE BEST!!!!!

Dagemawi You will always be my favorite Rowling!!!!

Basabi Bora I am excessively obsessed with HARRY POTTER.I can't stop thinking about him day and night even though he is an imaginary character.
Love you Harry......

Laura It's those who grow up with Harry Potter that love it the most.

message 6: by Asher (new)

Asher Woldamlak I like harry potter books but I'm not obsessed with them. This book in my opinion was an excellent penultimate. I think that Rowling cleverly constructed this book from beginning to end. You really saw her writing expertise in how she made Dumbledore seem more human. To all of us fans, Dumbledore seems to be otherworldly in his thoughts and powers. Rowling challenged our view by making Dumbledore admit his failure to tell Harry the necessities about his destiny. That was a HUMAN error, and this brought Dumbledore down a level in my view. I recommend this book simply because of the excellent plot twists and its detailed language.

message 7: by Liam (new) - added it

Liam i grew up reading hp with my parents. this is still just as good today. it is amazing. i am in love w/ the series. im serious (real hp fans will get dat joke).

Amy S I love jk rowling and i loved harry potter

Severus Snape I TOTALLY AGREE WITH AMY!