Abhi Yerra's Reviews > Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead

Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg

The content of the book is valid for any woman who is working in a professional setting. As a male it has given me thoughts on how to structure my interactions at the workplace. I have to acknowledge that many of the the unconscious biases Sandberg says men do are more apparent to me now that I have read the book. This includes my own. It has also given me a wider lenses to look at professionalism and women who lead family but want to work.

However, this book does not seem to have much barring for women who are not professionals or American raised. As an Indian I see an immense cultural stigmata my cultures place on women. Though Sandberg addresses that she is coming from a particular situation it does seem difficult for some people to take this advice. A poor family may need the man and woman to work regardless of children and day care is not an option. This limits the potential growth of those individuals and might even lead to the woman staying home because daycare is too expensive. In that situation even if the woman is Leaning In and working the natural course is that she has to work.

However, it is quite a good book and I’d recommend it for anyone who is working in a professional setting to read and everyone else to ponder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lean In.

Started Reading