Rebecca's Reviews > The Roots of Desire: The Myth, Meaning, and Sexual Power of Red Hair

The Roots of Desire by Marion Roach

Feb 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: owned, favourite-covers
Read from July 21 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Roots of Desire.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

Marion Roach
“All the action adventure girls have red hair," he said. "Whenever it is an independent girl, not a sidekick person, when she has her own mind or does as good as the guys, she has red hair.”
Marion Roach, The Roots of Desire: The Myth, Meaning, and Sexual Power of Red Hair

Marion Roach
“This is because I define myself in part by my color. And I know it is the proverbial slippery slope: That there are associations with red hair that I utterly reject and others I wear proudly means nothing to anyone else, since I don't get to choose how the observer sorts those same traits. Grazing through the stereotypes, I am on the delicatessen plan, winding a way over the menu offerings, picking, choosing and rejecting; adhering to some, dismissing others. Having adopted a method of personal vigilance that allows me to be on the lookout for associations that suffuse my color with preferred associations and to reject those I choose not to adopt, I enhance my self-image. But to other people my red hair is more a take-it-or-leave-it experience: Red-haired, to them, I may also be a certain type of person, complete with temperament.”

07/21/2012 page 3
1.0% "'Hitler reportedly banned the intermarriage of redheads for fear of "deviant offspring"' - RUDE."
07/23/2012 page 120
47.0% "Skipped ALL the witchcraft stuff because it was boring as. We are now on genetics & it is much more interesting."
show 2 hidden updates…

Rebecca All the genetics - interesting. All the witches & religion - really.. not. And not particularly well-written either.

Rebecca Also she suggests redheads don't like green, which I UTTERLY REFUTE.