Ariana's Reviews > Brave Story

Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe

Feb 26, 2011

bookshelves: east-asia, lost-boys

Slight spoilers ahead.

This book was wonderful. It was beautiful & heartbreaking & everything you'd want in a story and more. I took my time reading it in order to savor its beauty. Above all, it was unique. The pictures the author painted, especially of the Tower of Destiny and the Swamp of Grief, were so different from anything I'd ever experienced. It's true, some parts reminded me of the video game Kingdom Hearts (Kaori = Kairi, Tower of Destiny = Destiny Island, Mitsuru = Riku, etc.), but I wish more books were like that. It's rare that a book can make me care so much, similar to the breathless feeling I got when playing Kingdom Hearts or reading Peter Pan. Like you're on the edge of the world.

That being said, I did not think the ending was fair to the reader. I loathe bittersweet endings, and my biggest, biggest fear is forgetting things. So to have a character I have grown to care for be told that he won't remember anything of his entire journey just makes me want to cry. Like when Peter forgets Wendy, or when Sora forgets Namine. It's just so AWFUL and cruel.

And for that, I'm not sure if I could recommend it, which is very contradictory. I would feel bad recommending a book that caused me so much emotional distress.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave Story.

February 26, 2011 – Shelved