David Robertson's Reviews > Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires Trying to Reinvent Money

Digital Gold by Nathaniel Popper

Book review: Digital Gold Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires Trying to Reinvent Money by Nathaniel Popper

This book was so good I read it in two days. Very interesting history of Bitcoin from Satoshi Nakamoto who is the creator and still hasn’t surfaced in the non-digital world to Silk Road and all the illegal transactions happening through Bitcoin. Definitely read this book as it will open your eyes about the future of currency:

Things I learned:

Bitcoin probably won’t take off in the United States. Our currency is stable, credit cards and our cash are very efficient at transactions and our adoption of Google’s and Apple’s payment systems hasn’t been that great.
The biggest use of Bitcoin is a store of value for people who live in countries with an unstable currency.
The next big use of Bitcoins is countries who have antiquated payment systems and government rules and restrictions for bank accounts.
A great explanation of Bitcoin is here.
What is really interesting is what is happening right now. Mike Hearn’s article discusses the failure of bitcoin. The blockchain is full and a number of transactions aren’t being filled. Also, Fred Wilson has another take on Bitcoin in his blog post and has invested in a number of Bitcoin companies. It will be an interesting year for Bitcoin and I’ll definitely be watching the price on Preev. The CEO of Xapo, Wences Casares was just named to the board of Paypal which means Paypal will be starting to embrace Bitcoin more in the future. This book has awakened a big interest in Bitcoin in me personally as I’m going to continue to follow it and the people involved.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digital Gold.

January 12, 2016 – Started Reading