Kristine Lopez's Reviews > Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities

Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber

Feb 26, 2011

bookshelves: for-adults-experts-and-interested
Read from February 25 to 28, 2011 — I own a copy

This book is really EXTRAORDINARY! The way the author wrote it, the ways that the Doctor tried and did everything, and of Sybil losing and having hope. It made me value what I have now--not only the material things but also, I became really really very thankful to have the parents that I have now. This book not only teaches us the analysis of a patient that has Multiple Personality Disorder, but also it makes us value friendship, our parents, and ourselves. It's really an AMAZING book!

One part of this that I've almost lost the will to continue was the part of the torture. I didn't want to continue because I can't take what was being done to Sybil--the person who had multiple personalities. It was in the middle part of the book. The part when there is only narration. ALL the PHYSICAL tortures that was done by her mother was there and mind you, it made me LOVE my mother more than 3x that I do now. The part here that really stuck in my head is the part of the masturbation. I can't believe a mother, the own mother, can put her finger, the holder of the knife, a bottle, and some other tools, in (..okay. this took me long enough to find an appropriate or a scientific word for this but I can't so...) between the thighs...you know what I mean. Anyway, I just want to share this conversation I had with a friend of mine that's a guy and is my classmate. So, I told him about the part of the masturbation that the mother did, he said after I finished telling him, "That hurts." I told him, "At least now you know the feeling." Not that I know, I've just read. :') He then replied, "I won't do that."
I won't tell you the whole story. It can be misunderstood here. So, anyway. We laughed after that. But my point is...See? Even a guy says it hurts! LOL.

BACK TO THE BOOK!

I actually read this because of my research in English. And because I am also interested about knowing all about this disorder. And let me tell you, I wrote a four-pages back to back facts on a yellow pad and I still haven't written some of the other facts that I have later read. SEE? It's really USEFUL IN A LOT OF, ALL SORTS OF, WAYS!!!! :)

In the end, it's all a happy ending and it's remarkable how the doctor, after 11 years, finally made the 16 Sybils into a ONE WHOLE Sybil. REALLY FASCINATING! :D THIS IS TOTALLY A GOOD READ! :D

P.S.
You see why it took me this long to read it even if I enjoyed it? It's because of the yellow pads! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sybil.

02/26/2011 page 315
03/29/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Campbell (new) - added it

Campbell You're gonna have to tell me how this book is. The title has me interested, but I want to make sure I'm not being deceived.

Kristine Lopez Campbell! Done! :D You should read it! :)

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Like your review :) Is this book that good?

Kristine Lopez yep :) You can really learn a LOT! and almost ALL of the articles that I've copied on the topic of Multiple Personality Disorder, this book is always there.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah This is a true story, right?