Gina Wynn's Reviews > The Secrets of Married Women

The Secrets of Married Women by Carol Mason

Jan 12, 2016

4 1/2 stars rounded to 5.

This story follows the intertwined lives and loves of three female friends. It’s an almost painful look at marriage, complete with warts, flaws, humour and sadness.

Halfway through, I realised I was reading a story written in present tense, when they are not my usual preference at all, so that is a very good indication of how well crafted the story is.

The frankness in the story – the exploration of marriage and related themes, especially adultery -might be uncomfortable reading for some as all of the rawness of the characters’ emotions being spread all over the pages. But the book is also about love and friendship…about love gone right and wrong, and also about the bonds of friendship between women.

The book is set in the north-east of England. As a British reader, I enjoy my Brit women’s fiction – I enjoy the rhythm of the words, the dialogue, the conversation with the author and the characters. I feel at home in these books, regardless of the subject, as I am comforted by the familiar surroundings.

I found the characters to be very three dimensional – flawed and believable but also sympathetic in their own ways. I understood their motivations for the most part, and they were realistic.

I’ve given the book 4 1/2 stars rather than 5 because, although the book is set in England, Americanisms like ‘pants’ for ‘trousers’ and ‘store’ for ‘shop’ crept in alongside some homophones and they pulled me from the story just for those brief moments that I stumbled reading them.

This is a great book that has earned its place on my bookshelf.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secrets of Married Women.

January 2, 2016 – Started Reading