Amanda Leon's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

bookshelves: favorites, dystopia, romance, series, books-that-pack-a-punch, future, read-in-2013, reread

Rereading this whole series again, one that I really truly adore, I've noticed how different Lena is in Delirium than in the other two sequels. Her character strength and growth is enormous and here, the summer before her 18th birthday where she is scheduled to be cured from pain and hate and passion and the disease of Amor Deliria Nervosa or love is where it all begins. Lena starts out as naive and believing everything she has been told and desperately wants to fit in to society even though in society's terms, her family is tainted blood. She falls in love and realizes that many held truths that she has been told all her life might not be true after all. Conflict and drama ensues etc.

I first read this series two years ago when it recently came out and the trend in YA was shifting from paranormal romance to dystopia and to be perfectly honest, I was more than suspicious of this romance dystopia hybrid machine that for me just screamed hack and money making machine. I was pleasantly surprised and it turned out exceeding my expectations. The idea behind this series is wild but not as far-fetched as it first seems. I would say give it a try because the more you get into this world, the more it pays off in the end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

February 25, 2011 – Shelved
February 25, 2011 –
0.0% "I'm a little skeptical of this book but i decided to give it a chance. The only thing i wonder is if you take love away from the world but keep all the other emotions, doesn't that turn human beings more violent and with less empathy and compassion?"
March 2, 2011 –
March 7, 2013 – Shelved as: read-in-2013
March 7, 2013 – Shelved as: reread
March 7, 2013 –
page 1
0.23% "Reading this series all over again so i can fully immerse myself into the world so I can properly enjoy Requiem better. But I am too excited! <3"
March 9, 2013 –