Laura's Reviews > Enclave

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Feb 25, 2011

bookshelves: zombies, apocalypse-dystopian, ya, for-reading-challenges, love-triangle-argh
Read from May 30 to June 01, 2011

I have to admit, that at first I really disliked the main character, Deuce, because I thought she was a bit like a robot. As the book went on I began to appreciate Deuce as she was in the the beginning because the point of it is how she began to question the things she had always taken as fact before.

Enclave is a zombie book in a way. There are Freaks who crave flesh but if someone is bitten by a Freak they aren't infected. It's never really explained what the Freaks are, although it's sort of hinted at where they came from.

But what Enclave is truly a book about is a journey. It's almost like (but not quite as epic as) The Lord of the Rings. What I enjoyed most was seeing how Deuce's world continued to expand, first beyond what she knew of firsthand and then beyond even the things she had heard about but hadn't experienced. The relationship between Deuce and Fade is almost like Frodo and Sam even, because where one went, the other was going to follow because they were partners and had one another's back. They had their troubles, their doubts about each other, but they found their way back to that trust and partnership. What I didn't like was the addition of Stalker and his nickname for Deuce. I think it's one of my peeves when a strong guy comes along and gives a stupid (but supposed to be sweet nickname) to a strong woman (i.e. Liam Ironarm had a stupid nickname for Alanna that I always hated but can't remember).

I can certainly understand the problem people have with the ending, but it didn't really bother me all that much. I can see where the next book is going to go and where this one ended was sort of closing the book on that leg of the journey and preparing for a very different experience coming up. Yes, the ending is sort of abrupt, but it still makes sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enclave.

05/31/2011 page 42
16.0% "Deuce is like a machine. Not just that she trained her body to be the perfect Huntress but her personality is seriously lacking. She's so boring."
05/31/2011 page 88
34.0% "I take back what I said earlier. This book got so good and Deuce got much better too."
show 1 hidden update…