Cassie's Reviews > Dragon Flight

Dragon Flight by Jessica Day George

Feb 10, 2008

bookshelves: ya-fantasy

This book entertained and enchanted me just as much as the first one, Dragon Slippers, if not more. Everything that the author set up in the first book was carried through perfectly into the second. Dragon Slippers was one of those books that didn’t quite *need* a sequel, but definitely benefited from one. I felt that the story of Creel wasn’t quite tied up yet, and Dragon Flight completed her story nicely. After this, I can be happy without any more tales about Creel, though I wouldn’t argue if the author decided to return to this world.

My biggest problem with these books is something the author has no control of, and that is how they are marketed. Yes, these books will appeal to middle grade readers, but they will also appeal to older teens and adults, except that the books look incredibly young. Once again, the publisher chose to put characters on the cover who look about twelve years old at the most. Guess what? All the characters are in their late teens. I completely passed up the first book due to the cover for a long time, yet I think these are some of the best middle grade books I’ve read. Publishers need to realize that having a childish cover can really turn older readers away from a book. The British cover of Dragon Slippers is kind of goofy, but I don’t think it limits the marketing appeal as much as the American one did, though it was kind of girly.

Personally, I would have loved to see the author design this as a bit more of a young adult book than middle grade. Really, she wouldn’t have had to change much. Up the romance a touch, deal with a bit more of the cruelty that the kingdoms were inflicting on the dragons, add a pinch more of political intrigue, and this book would easily have stood on par with one of my favorite political intrigue/romantic books, Crown Duel. At least the author’s other new book, Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, was rightfully marketed and designed to appeal to young adults.

I am left with one question though, after these two books — Why is it so easy to enslave dragons? Makes me wonder if it’s just as easy to control other species and if anyone has tried this? Both books centered around dragons being made to fight against their own will. Which is a crucial point since the dragons in this book are no more good or evil than your average human. Still, I wonder how many different ways there are to control dragons.

read the rest of my review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Flight.

Finished Reading
February 10, 2008 – Shelved
May 1, 2008 – Shelved as: ya-fantasy

Jackie Hi Cassie,
I totally agree with you about the cover...as I was reading the book, I'd occasionally glance back at the cover and think, 'this sure doesn't match my image of Creel and Luka. Too bad...I think a proper cover would attract an older audience, as well as the younger one.

Cassie Jackie wrote: "Hi Cassie,

Yeah, its a shame. And the newest cover for Dragon Spear is slightly confusing, though I suppose it looks cool. But if you actually read the books and know the dragons, thats totally the wrong dragon on the cover.

At least the paperback release was slightly better I think... but only slightly.

Trish I wholeheartedly agree about the covers... they don't match the stories or the characters very well at all.