Maxwell's Reviews > Angela's Ashes

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

bookshelves: i-own-it, ireland, 2016

Quite different from other memoirs I read--especially the brand of memoir that's been coming out in the last few years--Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes tells of the author's poverty-stricken childhood in Ireland in the early 20th century. It's told from the first person present perspective, which doesn't allow for as much mature reflection, but it does create a very immediate & immersive atmosphere. And speaking of atmosphere, McCourt writes so descriptively and which such skill that you can really picture everything he's talking about. It's incredibly well written, with a Joycean stream of consciousness that again contributes to the immersive quality of the story. I'd recommend taking your time with this one, not only because it's depressive nature is a bit too much to bear in large quantities, but also because there's so much to savor and appreciate about McCourt's story and writing. I see why this is a modern classic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angela's Ashes.

January 11, 2016 – Shelved
January 11, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 11, 2016 – Shelved as: i-own-it
January 11, 2016 – Shelved as: ireland
July 3, 2016 – Started Reading
July 3, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
page 1
0.27% "#UncoveredBookClub. I'm going to be reading this throughout the month. Can't wait!"
page 47
12.77% "Well people weren't kidding about this being depressing."
page 91
24.73% "This poor family :'("
July 4, 2016 –
page 132
35.87% "I've definitely been reading this in an Irish accent in my head"
July 5, 2016 –
page 170
46.2% "He's able to write about such mundane things in a really engaging way"
July 9, 2016 –
page 216
July 9, 2016 –
page 268
July 10, 2016 –
page 326
88.59% "Almost finished. The last 100 pages or so have been really good"
July 10, 2016 – Finished Reading