Amy's Reviews > Deep Down True

Deep Down True by Juliette Fay

Feb 25, 2011

Read from February 25 to March 03, 2011

“Shelter Me,” was one of my favorite reads last year and was a book that I immediately became enchanted with. I was hoping to be just as enchanted with Fay’s latest release, but it fell a little short. That being said, I still love her writing and loved this book, just not as much as her first book.

Dana Stellgarten is newly divorced and has found herself dealing with issues that she never thought she would have to deal with- a bulimic daughter, a moody son, a Goth teenage niece who has come to live with them, and a very tight money situation thanks to her ex-husband’s lack of sales.

As Dana’s world seems to be crashing in on her from all angles, Dana must try to find out who she really is without her husband and learn to solve the families problems on her own. The story builds as Dana finds a job to help support her family and then must learn to juggle the needs of her children with her own needs- for love, for friendship, and the money to keep their family afloat.

Dana’s most surprising discovery though is that it is just as hard to make true friends in your middle age as it is when you are a teenager. As her daughter’s eating disorder stems from wanting to fit in with the cool girls at school, Dana finds herself being reeled in by the town’s queen bee and compromising what feels good to her to make friends. Both Dana & her daughter must learn what really will ultimately make them happy, and find that place within themselves.

Readers will be in for a bumpy ride as you go on the journey of Dana’s love life after divorce, but the message that we all have to find that “deep down true” place, no matter how old we get, will really resonate with readers. The takeaway message was a beautiful one, but the everyday minutiae to get there might be why the book wasn’t a knockout for me like, “Shelter Me.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Down True.