Kelly's Reviews > The Probable Future

The Probable Future by Alice Hoffman

Feb 25, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: beach-book, fiction, supernatural, dramatic, oh-the-shame, feminist, want-those-hours-back, pretty-cover-bad-book
Read in February, 2011

Some things, Ms. Hoffman, some things need not be explained until the words don't even sound like words anymore. In fact, Ms. Hoffman explains the setting (ie. Cake House, flora, fauna, seasons in MA, etc) so much and in so many different ways, she makes Stephen King look terse. And that, people, is talent.

The characters are one-dimensional, unrealistic, and completely unlikeable. The women in the novel are either two of the following: cold and constantly angry for no valid reason or daft and riddled with low self-esteem. As for the men, with the exception of two, they're lying, cheating dogs that Ms. Hoffman decides at the last hour to redeem in a manner so devoid of reality it's almost laughable. Almost. Oh, and those two men...idiotic, love-sick puppies with the patience of a saint.

But the worse part, the worse part may actually be a plot line that weaved in and out of existence. Then again, maybe it was the jumps in time, a tying of loose ends here and there throughout the book (inappropriately placed) that look like they were added as an after thought when the book was finished. My guess though is that it was probably closing the book feeling like a chump. But hey, at least I'm a chump that could now get her horticulture degree. Thanks, Ms. Hoffman!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Probable Future.

02/27/2011 page 166
06/08/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Rachel I'm about 70 pages in and I want to backhand Stella and knock the $h!t out of her mother and piece of garbage father. I loved Practical Magic and thought this might be similar, but it's just pissing me off so far. Not very fun!
Your review made me grin, though.

Kelly Rachel wrote: "I'm about 70 pages in and I want to backhand Stella and knock the $h!t out of her mother and piece of garbage father. I loved Practical Magic and thought this might be similar, but it's just pissin..."

Take my advice, CLOSE THE BOOK FOREVER!

This was the only book of Hoffman's that I absolutely hated. I recommend you read literally any other book and you'll find that familiar magic found in Practical Magic (one of my favorite movies). My favorite of Hoffman's is The Ice Queen.

Since you loved Practical Magic, I highly recommend this unknown gem: The Silence of Bonadventure Arrow
by Rita Leganski. It was awesome and the writing is phenomenal.

Rachel Thanks Kelly. I'll give The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow a go and swap this thing out for The Ice Queen.

Kelly Rachel wrote: "Thanks Kelly. I'll give The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow a go and swap this thing out for The Ice Queen."

My pleasure! Here is my review, complete with a suggested soundtrack. Let me know what you think of it.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori Anne You are right on. I usually love Alice Hoffman, Here on earth and Fortune's daughter are among my favourite books. But this one is painful, for all the reasons you pointed out. Thank you, I'm giving up on it. Life is too short for bad books!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy I read your review and somehow I knew I might feel the same. I have little patience for "characters" and long winded explanations. I think Ill skip this one. I liked her older novels but couldn't get into Dovekeepers.