Jodie's Reviews > A Court of Thorns and Roses

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Jan 11, 2016

bookshelves: active-series, genre-fantasy, genre-romance, genre-ya, i-own-arc, i-own-hardcopy

See more reviews at Words Read & Written

Reading History:

Read January 2016

Re-Read May 2016

Re-read May 2018 - after reading A Court of Frost & Starlight, I felt the need to go back to where it all began. I do love these characters :)

Why I picked it up:

I received this one from Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review. I actually picked it up and started reading it a couple of times, before finally sitting down and committing to it 100%.

My Thoughts:

The first half of this story was a really difficult read for me, because I didn’t connect with the characters. Because of that, I found the story to be slow, bland, and extremely repetitive with the whole “plotting to escape” thing. I couldn’t understand why Feyre was even bothering to protect her family – they seemed like total arseholes to me, and because I didn’t really like Feyre, I couldn’t sympathise with what she was trying to do.

All in all, at the halfway mark, I was freaking out because I love the Throne of Glass series, and I wanted to love this too.

Luckily, the emotion kicked into gear in the second half and I found it to be a much more enjoyable read. I finally sunk into the story and I found myself liking Feyre a little more, and loving Rhysand. Sarah J Maas really is an excellent story teller – I love how she builds her characters up and then breaks them down – her character arcs are amazing.

All in all, I’ll check out the second. I think I’d like this a little more the second time round because I’ll understand more what it’s all about.

My Verdict – 4 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Court of Thorns and Roses.

January 11, 2016 – Started Reading