Shannon Thompson's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: great-ya

If you love sarcastic, witty female assassins, this book is for you. Action-packed but also hilarious, Throne of Glass is an enthralling death-defying mystery centered on a competition to become the King’s Champion. I particularly loved that this tale didn’t focus too much on the competition. I was a bit worried it’d be a Hunger Games repeat. (Probably why it took me so long to pick it up.) And while the first 100 pages seemed to point in that direction, the rest of the story definitely proved me wrong and entertained me all the way to the end. Murders, ghosts, demons, and royal treachery? Yes. So much so, yes.
Celaena was, by far, my favorite character, and although her attitude could be arrogant at times, it fit her assassin demeanor flawlessly. I also have to say that she was an ACTUAL assassin. A lot of recent stories claiming to be about assassins barely have any…well…assassinations in it, but Celaena is most definitely a woman of her trade. She’s also still very human, and it was refreshing to see her character expand her emotions with those around her, especially with Nehemia. At the same time, the world building also grew, and I appreciated the twisted magic and dark lore shown in the story. All my love also goes out to Fleetfoot. Too cute.
I will be getting my hands on the second book a.s.a.p.
~SAT
Recommended to: Lovers of YA fantasy, especially high fantasy, and capable heroines. This book also includes light romance and a touch of horror.
Favorite Quote: Libraries were full of ideas—perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

Quotes Shannon Liked

Sarah J. Maas
“I'm not married,” he said softly, “because I can't stomach the idea of marrying a woman inferior to me in mind and spirit. It would mean the death of my soul.”
Sarah J. Maas, Throne of Glass