Laurie's Reviews > The Island

The Island by Elin Hilderbrand

Jan 10, 2016

bookshelves: family, favorites, women-s-fiction, reviewed2016, i-like-big-books

The Island is a heartfelt story of four women who resort to casting themselves away to a private family-owned island of Tuckernuck, Mass. It is a story between two sets of sisters, both sets of separate generations. The women all have their baggage, but it's the type of baggage you're intrigued to read about. I hold The Island in high regard because although the book is what I consider to be very long (over 400 pages) it told each of the character's stories; capturing their triumphs, sadness, elation, and devastation from beginning to end, never missing a beat.
The Island is so many things OTHER than a "light read" in my opinion. It is an ernest look into the lives of very different women. It is a story of love of family, unrequited love that is hard-won and conquered, emotional growth, and surviving trauma. It's complex concerning the issues woven into this piece of fiction and the ending is well-deserved for all characters. Have I mentioned there are actually FOUR characters' stories in this ONE novel? It's well worth the time to read it and will leave readers yearning for more. Good thing Hilderbrand has a solid booklist: I look forward to reading all the rest, too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Island.

January 7, 2016 – Started Reading