Bradley Timm's Reviews > From Hell

From Hell by Alan Moore

Feb 24, 2011

I find this book to be criminally overlooked; whether its relevance to the god awful adaptation by the Hughes Bros. has anything to do with it or not.

Here is what I consider to be Alan Moore's personal best work. When I finished "From Hell" I had a profound, inescapable feeling that I just learned something very important about mankind and human nature on such a level that it was difficult to quantify. The work is at once clinical, unsympathetic and uncomfortable, yet these reactions are so intense that one can only approve of Moores effective allegories. In choosing to employ the retro illustration style of artist Eddie Campbell served to compound the authenticity of his time-warp to the gritty streeys of London in the 1800's.

The story itself is an examination of the world through the educated dimentia of Jack the Ripper, who manages to make compelling, if not twisted, arguments for his double life as both a respected Physician of high society, but a murderer and mutilator of woman in the world first profession.

One could teach a short course on "Moore's" thoroughly researched gift to contemporary literature, but I'm content just highly recommending it to adventurous readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Hell.

Started Reading