Linda's Reviews > The Handmaid's Tale

Feb 24, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: classics, science-fiction
Read from February 24 to March 04, 2011

I could not put this book down. I had to keep reading to see what happened next. However, I do have some complaints. Margaret Atwood got a little too creative with her punctuation, specifically quotation marks. Sometimes she would use them, sometimes she wouldn't, and I couldn't find any pattern or reason for this. She also seems to randomly place commas, causing many sentences to be confusingly written. Also, the ending was very abrupt and unsatisfying. It felt like she meant to write more later, but then didn't.

One of the reasons some dystopian novels are so effective is that their premise has some semblance of plausibility. I did not feel that the society in this book would ever happen in the US, especially not in the few years implied by the book. Maybe if Margaret Atwood had gone into more detail about how this society came into existence I'd be more satisfied.

So probably some of the message was lost on me because I don't see this book as more than a good story with sometimes confusing punctuation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Handmaid's Tale.