Emily WilowRaven's Reviews > Dreaming Anastasia

Dreaming Anastasia by Joy Preble

Feb 24, 2011

The possibility of Anastasia Romanov surviving the horrific murder of her family in that dark basement so many years ago is a tale most of us have heard before. The story that Joy has created in Dreaming Anastasia is one I'm sure you have never heard before. Straight out of fantasy - a fantasy that involves a secret bloodline, magic spells and the witch Baba Yaga, Dreaming Anastasia was an absorbing read for me.

Set against the backdrop of modern day Chicago we meet Anne. A seemingly normal girl with a not so normal problem - finding out she is the one destined to save Anastasia.

I connected to Anne right away and I very much enjoyed her story. Dreaming Anastasia had a science fiction / fantasy / historical novel / paranormal romance feel to it. If you think that's too much going on at once, it really isn't. Joy did a fabulous job weaving in all elements. The magical brotherhood, the story of Anastasia and her family and Anne and Ethan - all connected in a way that just made this book work.

I was left with a few unanswered questions regarding the plot that I would love to pick Joy's brain about! Really made me crave book 2, which is in stores now so no need to wait!

Overall, a great read for me. Joy is a 2009 debut author that I'm really glad I 'discovered'. Looking forward to more from her in the future.

Overall Rating:
4 / 5 Stars

Originally posted at Red House Books -- Dreaming Anastasia

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreaming Anastasia.