Gregory's Reviews > Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis

Feb 24, 2011

liked it
Read in February, 2011

I had gone back and forth for a few months about whether I should reread this, my absolute favorite book from when I was 12. The memory of reading this book 20 years ago is one of my fondest. It was the first reading experience that really had a strong effect on me. I read it while visiting my grandparents in Pittsburgh and can vividly remember getting so hooked on the story that I stayed up in the spare room I was sleeping in and read the whole thing cover to cover while we were there. It was exciting, the characters were all so different in terms of traits and motivations, and it was totally epic. It had a huge effect on me, not a big reader previously. After that I was never without a book (and for the four years following, it was almost always some Dragonlance book).

So yeah, I probably should have left my memories alone on this one. Rereading it now, the story is still propulsive and the comic relief that some of the characters offer were really some of the high points. But, as expected the writing is a bit cheesy and the plot seems a little confusing. As others have mentioned, it does read like someone's D&D adventure just written down. I never was disinterested while rereading it, but, of course, it was far less magical of an experience.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragons of Autumn Twilight.