Connie's Reviews > Logres

Logres by M.L. Mackworth-Praed

20748319

bookshelves: ebooks, favorites, kindle-unlimited, read-in-2016, series-finished

Source: I downloaded this book via Kindle Unlimited.
Cost: Free

Title: The Future King: Logres
Series: The Future King #1
Author: M.L. Mackworth-Praed
Overall Rating: 5 stars

Admittedly, the Arthurian Legends hold a nostalgic place in my heart. As a child, I grew up being told them by my Dad and I loved them so much, this is something that has stayed with me as I've gotten older. I was so excited when I was told about this book! A modern take on these legends that I love so much? Yes please!

The year is 2052, and in a world full of chaos, war and illness, Britain seems like the perfect haven. Controlled by one party. And for Welsh Gwen, who has just started at Logres school, she believes everything is good...Until it's not, and she finds that the government's prosperity is founded upon cruelty, violence and lies, and she wants to do something about it. But she's also split between the school's heartthrob Arthur and basically the school's bad boy Lancelot. Because you can't have an Arthurian story with Arthur and Lancelot. *Insert winky face*

Although this book is over 500 pages long, it doesn't feel like it. You don't notice the time go by at all because not for a second, are you left bored. My favourite thing about this book was at the beginning, you don't think there's much wrong with the world of this story, it seems almost idealistic, until little things start happening...Then bigger things...Then it hits you about this sort of tyrannical system of government and how different things actually are! At least, that's how I saw it!

I liked the characterisation of the characters in this book, you loved who you were supposed too and hated who you were meant too! It was so fluid and strong in it's writing style that it's hard not to love this book.

I'm so excited for the second book to come out, and to see what happens next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Logres.

January 9, 2016 – Started Reading