Phair's Reviews > Jane

Jane by April Lindner

Feb 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult-childrens, retellings-literary

** spoiler alert ** Confession: I have never been able to read the original Jane Eyre all the way through! I feel like I have after all the film/TV versions I've seen, allusions I've been exposed to and pastiches I've read [ for one, a science fiction version called [book:Jenna Starborn|337017] ]. Anyway- this was a straightforward retelling set in the present day with Rochester as a former wild child rock star now making a comeback a bit older and wiser, Jane is his daughter's nanny and St.John Rivers is a Yale divinity student who runs a soup kitchen and plans to do good works in Haiti. [My only complaint was that in the author's note at the end she says Bruce Springsteen was the model for her Rochester/Rock Star and I don't particularly care for him so it kinda killed my vision of that most romantic character when I chanced to read the end note about half-way through reading the book]

I think the author did a creditable job of fitting almost every element of the original story into this new setting in a plausible way. I, for one, enjoy retellings and continuations of well known stories, especially if they manage to do this with an interesting twist or fresh viewpoint. I like the 'aha' moments when you see how they are able to incorporate a story thread in an unexpected way. They say little kids never get enough of the familiar when they are beginning to read/listen to books so I guess I've remained a little kid in that I love these books that provide that recognition factor while still entertaining me.

Now to see the new Jane Eyre film and I've just started the audio book: Jane Slayre: The Literary Classic with a Blood-Sucking Twist!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane.

February 24, 2011 – Shelved
March 3, 2011 – Started Reading
March 3, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult-childrens
March 5, 2011 –
page 198
53.08% "Liking this modern version of the classic"
March 8, 2011 – Finished Reading