Emily's Reviews > Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories

Across the Wall by Garth Nix

I was initially hesitant to jump into this collection of short stories as the first is set in Nix's Old Kingdom. It's been quite some time since I read "Sabriel," "Lirael," and "Abhorsen" and I was nervous that I would not remember enough of the details of those stories to enjoy "Nicholas Sayre and the Creature in the Case" without spending most of the time while reading it trying to remember what/who was being referenced. If that started happening, I would be forced to re-read the entire 1,744 page saga in order to enjoy this book. I do intend to re-read those books someday, but as I'm trying to do 200 books this year, that would really set me back. I was pleased to find that I could quite enjoy the story as Nix provided enough reminders and backstory that I was able to jump right back in.
I was also quite enamoured of the other stories in the book. These are an excellent sampling of the Author's work over the years. I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite, and, as with almost no short story collection I have ever read before, I did not dislike any of them.
The best thing about the anthology is the author's introductions to each of them. These paragraphs gave insight into both the origin of the story and the writing process of the author himself, information I always find fascinating. I find, also, that it gives the reader a much richer reading experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Across the Wall.

Finished Reading