Michelle's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

"Breakfast at Tiffany's", was a delightful film. I consider it a classic! As for the novel, well... I didn't know there was a novel! A novel by Truman Capote, whom I am not familiar with until Philip Seymour Hoffman won an Oscar for playing him. I was fortunate enough to discover this book in the library.

"Breakfast at Tiffany's" is a little deceptive since it seems like a pretty easy read. It can be a bit funny, but I realized it has a more somber tone than the the film and there are some pretty serious issues throughout the course of the story. It also presents a heroine who you might not like very much (or at all), which presents another challenge.

Capote's attitude toward Holly can be different than your reaction to her, and I think this is part of his talent. He actually presents a lot of reasons to dislike Holly, but he is also careful to temper that with some information that probably elicits a sympathetic reaction to other parts of her life.The story doesn't gloss over her negative qualities, but it does present details that complicate these downfalls. This gives a better idea of why she does whatever she must to survive.

The tone is very different from the film, and there is no fairy-tale love in this story. Instead, you get a more realistic picture of love: complicated, messy, and sometimes extremely painful. The central theme seems to be more about looking forward to the future, and about the dreams, hopes, and plans we make for ourselves. In many ways these dreams sustain the characters, as they are propelled by the promise of something better than what the present can provide. But when these same hopes, and plans are shattered, it has devastating effects on the dreamers. Suddenly, they have to revise what they've been looking forward to, and this throws some characters into a tailspin as they're suddenly forced to reevaluate their lives. It was quite a different experience from the film and it's very thought provoking.

After reading the story, I actually appreciated the title and find it more relevant. Although Holly actually mentions Tiffany's (and having breakfast there) just a few times, I think her reference to it tells you a lot about her character. It's true that Tiffany's is expensive and that the things in it are out of her reach, but it's the idea of Tiffany's and the perfection that she associates with the store that makes her feel better when she's scared, sad, or angry. It's the belief that only good things happen there that makes Tiffany's so appealing to her. The title means so much, and all the while seems pretty insignificant. The novel is a masterpiece in its own right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

January 8, 2016 – Started Reading
January 8, 2016 – Shelved
January 8, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 9, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Pagones I like the book much more than the film! #unpopular opinion The film turns it into a romance, versus a character study.

message 2: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Fantastic review 😉👏

Michelle Mary wrote: "I like the book much more than the film! #unpopular opinion The film turns it into a romance, versus a character study."

I enjoyed both mediums, but the book is of a different league that the film cannot even compare.

Michelle *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Fantastic review 😉👏"

Thank you, Your Highness!

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Lovely review Michelle! :)

Michelle Sandra wrote: "Lovely review Michelle! :)"

Thank you, Sandra!

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary Pagones Michelle wrote: "Mary wrote: "I like the book much more than the film! #unpopular opinion The film turns it into a romance, versus a character study."

I enjoyed both mediums, but the book is of a different league ..."

Exactly, I think the book has been called as close to a perfect novel as can exist! I read it when I was very young, and it's always made me aspire to write shorter, crafted novels rather than sprawling ones (although I do love many 19th century novels that sprawl).

I like the film too, but it was so popular, I think it's eclipsed the book in the cultural consciousness, and I wish it hadn't.

Michelle Mary wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Mary wrote: "I like the book much more than the film! #unpopular opinion The film turns it into a romance, versus a character study."

I enjoyed both mediums, but the book is of a ..."

Sadly, as is the case of many beautiful, well-written books.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary Pagones Michelle wrote: "Mary wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Mary wrote: "I like the book much more than the film! #unpopular opinion The film turns it into a romance, versus a character study."

I enjoyed both mediums, but the ..."

Very, very true!